First Realistic Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plano_harry

plano_harry

I have been wanting to try one of these since I saw Martin's MartinPens work, but have been putting it off because of the perceived difficulty of double closed end and hidden center band. Bill's Wood Butcher excellent tutorial inspired me to test my skills.

I wanted a large nib section to fit with the large diameter body, but didn't want to cannibalize my expensive Cambridge kits. David at Timberbits was very helpful in posting the nib and cap thread component parts from his Harvest series, so I was out of excuses. Plus I had this great Ave Maria band my friend gave me sitting on my desk.

Probably the most fun I have had making a pen in a while, but there has to be at least a dozen ways to screw this up if you get distracted.:eek:

Here is the finished result, including the obligatory ash tray shot :rolleyes:. The body is mesquite burl with buckeye ash. 5 or 6 coats of CA and MM to 1800. May go more matte finish on the next, probably shorten the ash a bit, and I will test putting CA over the label to protect it from wear since I want the pen to be used a lot, but don't want to sacrifice the realistic appearance. Please offer comments, tips and suggestions so I can improve.

Harry

Attachments

• Cigar Ash Tray m.jpg
    Cigar Ash Tray m.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 542
  • AVM Cigar Open m.jpg
    AVM Cigar Open m.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 599
  • AVM Cigar closed m.jpg
    AVM Cigar closed m.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 474
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Looks good Harry. My only critiques would be to shorten the ash, a matte finish (both of which you already mentioned) and lastly... a cigar pen that nice deserves a more ornate ash tray!:biggrin::good:

Last edited:

plano_harry

Looks good Harry. My only critiques would be to shorten the ash, a matte finish (both of which you already mentioned) and lastly... a cigar pen that nice deserves a more ornate ash tray!:biggrin::good:

And give up the French maidens?? :tongue: Thanks Derek.

walshjp17

Harry,

That is one outstanding replica pen.

I'm in the midst of making one for myself and hope to finish it within the next hour or so. Unfortunately, it will not be as good as yours but it doesn't look all that bad.

I like the mesquite burl. Will have to look for some of that to make another one.

I have to second the endorsement of Bill's tutorial. It is extremely helpful.

jpw

Tom D

I am in the process of making one also. I have turned the cigar but am waiting for the kit to arrive to finish it. I hope it comes out half as good as yours

its_virgil

Way to go Harry! I agree about a shorter ash section. Maybe burn the junction where the ash meets the other section of the cap. The end of the wood section needs a burned look. What do you think? I look forward to seeing the pen at the next N Tex meeting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

plano_harry

Way to go Harry! I agree about a shorter ash section. Maybe burn the junction where the ash meets the other section of the cap. The end of the wood section needs a burned look. What do you think? I look forward to seeing the pen at the next N Tex meeting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks Don. I agree. I burned it. I just didn't burn it enough! You can see a little bit in the third picture. I'm planning to go back and do some more.

dtswebb

Beautiful pen Harry. The mesquite burl was a great choice. As to the ash, I've seen longer ones whenever those of us that enjoy a good cigar congregate - we sometimes try to impress each other with the length of the ash.

I look forward to seeing your next effort.

And I've got to get off my duff and try my hand at this.

Matthew

robutacion

I have been wanting to try one of these since I saw Martin's MartinPens work, but have been putting it off because of the perceived difficulty of double closed end and hidden center band. Bill's Wood Butcher excellent tutorial inspired me to test my skills.

I wanted a large nib section to fit with the large diameter body, but didn't want to cannibalize my expensive Cambridge kits. David at Timberbits was very helpful in posting the nib and cap thread component parts from his Harvest series, so I was out of excuses. Plus I had this great Ave Maria band my friend gave me sitting on my desk.

Probably the most fun I have had making a pen in a while, but there has to be at least a dozen ways to screw this up if you get distracted.:eek:

Here is the finished result, including the obligatory ash tray shot :rolleyes:. The body is mesquite burl with buckeye ash. 5 or 6 coats of CA and MM to 1800. May go more matte finish on the next, probably shorten the ash a bit, and I will test putting CA over the label to protect it from wear since I want the pen to be used a lot, but don't want to sacrifice the realistic appearance. Please offer comments, tips and suggestions so I can improve.

Harry

Nothing wrong with them, that is a great pen you made...!

I'm a little divided about the ash length, I think it may be a little too long however, in my days of cigar smoking I remember to get those long ash tips, mainly if I went to sleep in the chair while having the cigar, you need to be very still to allow the ash to burn that long and not fall out so, it is possible but not the average/common length in a burning cigar...!

I like it, anyway...!

Cheers
George

Jjartwood

Beautiful Pen, It sets a pretty high mark for the rest of us to go after.
The long ash lends itself to the idea that it's been sitting in the ash tray a bit and it's just about time to pick it up again and enjoy what it has to offer.
Be it cigar or pen, That's the way it should be.
Mark

plano_harry

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate the feedback. I think my next one will be following Dale Allen's unlit foot technique.

No Bill, I haven't had the nerve to CA over my label yet. I need to get some more to practice on. I have to get all my labels from secondhand smoke.:) Fortunately, my uncle let me try one of his cigars when I was six :eek: - and I haven't wanted one since.

Harry

plano_harry

For the record, I did try CA over the label on a second pen, but unless you want to build up a lot of CA, the difference in height between the label and the wood presents sanding problems in trying to level the finish. I didn't like it, ripped it off, sanded, and refinished adding the label to the outside. :rolleyes:

Fantastic job on that pen Harry. I love those pens and think it is quite a work of art every time one of you guys pumps out one of these things.

Top Bottom