First Posting....Be Kind!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from quister

quister

Well, been trolling on here for a couple weeks and have a couple posts. Ordered some blanks from Brooks803 which are on the way shortly, some Jack Daniels blanks and a couple of the USS North Carolina deck blanks. Got some freebies, thanks dankc908 and Buzzzz4!!!!

Pictured are two from Buzzzz4, a Orion with I believe White Cedar (so it said) and a slimline Black Cherry. I'm still fairly new at this, around 24 pens total, but it is highly addictive! Is there an 800 number I can call for my new found addiction?

24. Wd - White Cedar - Orion Rollerball Gold 2.jpg

25. Wd - Black Cherry - Slimline Silver 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

Wow....for only having a handful of pens under your belt, those are some great ones! I'm especially fond of the blank on the first one (Orion). It looks like the color shifts like a pearl coat. Well done friend. Keep at it.

crabcreekind

The orion pen looks great, i was thinking about getting that kit, but didnt. I think pennstateind has a 800 num for your addiction. but its easier to get stuff off the internet.

quister

Both are simple CA finish's which I'm still trying to get the hang of. The Orion is pretty sharp as the wood had a lighter streak in it which is really cool. The CA was a little wavy on it and I didn't catch that until after it was pressed together. The Black Cherry turned out real smooth though.

Last edited:

oops99

Hey Quister,

Welcome to the very addictive world of penmaking. It looks like you have been bitten by the bug, very nice workmanship on these two pens.
A couple of tips if you don't mind, first, get a tighter shot when you are doing pics, close ups are a lot easier to see the details, and show the pens off better. Secondly if you have or have access to a table saw, try making your own blanks, it came be very rewarding to make something and be able to say "I even cut the tree down when I made this pen." Just kidding when I say cut down a tree, but you would be amazed at how easy it can be, and you would never walk past a pile of firewood without looking twice.

Again, welcome to pen making.

Tom/oops99

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s262/oops99_2007/WalnutPenTutorial004.jpg

ctubbs

Welcome,Jamie, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Getting_started_in_penturning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

firewhatfire

find your local cabinet shops and such. All the wood scraps you could ever want. I didnt have a piece of wood to turn 2 months ago, now I am starting my own burn pile.

Phil

MarkD

Welcome to the site! They are a couple great looking pens. There are some very talented people on this site that give great advice. You can also find great deals on just about anything you need on this site.

One word of advice, you might want to upgrade to a larger mailbox.

Top Bottom