First Posted Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from texasfootball21

This is my first attempt to post a pen. I hope I got the resizing and everything right.

Tell me what you think. Antler Jr. Gent Black Titanium Fountain.

Need comments on pen and photo. First try with my home made photo box.

Criticism encouraged.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks for the response. Still haven't got the white balance figured out.

I think the image decreased in quality when I resized it. It looked great full size with much better detail.

Taken with a 10 MP Nikon D60.

toolcrazy

Go to a light grey background, use manual on the camera, manually set the white balance. Use f19 and slow the shutter down till you get the proper lighting.

Very nice pen, btw. :)

Go to a light grey background, use manual on the camera, manually set the white balance. Use f19 and slow the shutter down till you get the proper lighting.

Very nice pen, btw. :)

Very good advice, I will try that out.

Can someone tell me a little about setting white balance, without a grey card(heard them referred to and don't have one)?

Why is my photo quality reduced so much when I resize the image? It looked so much better before.

On my website, http://www.lazyjpens.com/, the photos in the for sale section load incredibly slow. Will resizing help?

Hillbilly

Good looking pens.

Do you need a image resizer? Why did you use photobucket?
If you need a resizer let me know and I will send you a link for a free download. I have dial up and I use this fast imaging resizer and I can upload pics faster that I can load a website like photobucket. Just let me know.

rwyoung

The pen looks pretty good.

You can pick up a graycard at most camera stores. You might have to ask more than one sales clerk but if they have any training at all, they should know what you are looking for. The idea behind a gray card is that it is "calibrated" to reflect 18% of daylight (ie 5000K color spectrum). Camera meters are also calibrated so that given control of the camera, they will attempt to adjust the exposure so that the metered portion of the frame has an average of 18% reflectance. I've glossed over a WHOLE lot of stuff there including things like metering modes, the 12% vs 18% reflectance controversy, color temperature, etc.

But the upshot is, if you first place the graycard in scene and pick a spot metering mode you can pre-meter the scene and get the camera's recomendation to make the gray card look like a gray card with the given lighting. Note down the settings recomended. You should be working in apeture priority mode and pick an f-stop about 1 or 2 full stops from the largest number (ie. if your lens goes to f-22, try and work around f-11 to f-16). I know that you will get advice that says use the smallest f-stop possible to get maximum depth of field. And while that is true, the problem is that lens design is one giant compromise and all things being equal, the best image quality is generally in the two or three stops below maximum (minimum size) f-stop.

So lets say you had the lens set for f-16 and metering the gray card, the camera says it wants to use 1/125 as your shutter speed. Now remove the gray card, switch to full manual mode and take a shot at f-16 and 1/125.

Oh, and since you are using a digital camera, you can pre-select the color balance based on the type of lighting you are using. If you are using more than one type (say incandescent + on-camera flash) you will have to experiment a little bit. But if say the primary light source is the camera flash (on or off camera) then pick daylight as your starting point.

As to image editing and re-sizing, that is a whole 'nother topic. One of the easiest ways to get the resizing to work right is to use quality software. If you don't have CS3 or CS4 (Photoshop) you can use The Gimp (google is your friend here) and try the cubic spline interpolation while resizing. It does a pretty good job. Free too.

Got all that? ;) One positive thing I'll say for digital cameras is they make proofing a lot easier. I don't use them much (my 8x10 film camera is about 32gigapixel equivalent resolution, but then what would you expect from an 8" x 10" negative) as I prefer the look and hands-on process of film.

Last edited:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Very good advice, I will try that out.

Can someone tell me a little about setting white balance, without a grey card(heard them referred to and don't have one)?

Why is my photo quality reduced so much when I resize the image? It looked so much better before.

On my website, http://www.lazyjpens.com/, the photos in the for sale section load incredibly slow. Will resizing help?

Check out Gerry's tutorial. It should help you immensely. http://content.penturners.org/articles/2008/pen_photography.pdf

Hillbilly

I posted a link to a free image resizer in the photography thread. All of my pics have been resized by this and very simple to use. Oh yea did I mention it is FREE.

jedgerton

Great looking pen but a few comments on the photo. Background needs to provide more contrast. I would use a black background. Also, the focus seems to be a little off. Did you use the macro focus option? Maybe that would help. White balance is a little off but I have that problem also. Using "daylight" bulbs with a rating of ~5400K. I'm using bulbs rated at ~6500K but as I said, my white balance is a little off as well!

John

rjwolfe3

Nice pen but if you have a digital camera like mine, white balance won't help. I have no way to change that with my cheap digital camera. Someday I will replace it with a better camera but for now GIMP is my friend.

rwyoung

rjwolfe3 -

You can do something about your white balance in Gimp (or CS3/CS4 for that matter).

1) set up for a shot (and I'm assuming you use the same rig and lighting each time).
2) take a picture of the gray card. Do your best with the camera settings, but sometimes you don't get much choice.
3) In GIMP, fiddle with the curves until you get the gray card to look like a gray card again. Keep in mind, this is really only accurate for the monitor you are using. I'm making the assumption that you aren't doing color management and calibrating the monitor. But for web posting, it should be close enough.
4) Save the curve(s) you created.

Now if you use the same lighting setup and camera settings (again, if your camera is always full-auto, this won't work quite as well) each time you take a new picture you have a curve to apply that should get you pretty close on the first attempt.

I don't have it handy, perhaps google can cough it up, but if you want to check the pixel RGB values, it is possible to test that the gray card is really 18% gray by matching up the RGB readouts. If you think you monitor is seriously out of whack, this is one way to get around the color management problem without resorting to the expense of monitor calibration equipment and software.

Last edited:
Top Bottom