First Post of Pen, Help on wood...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wbarber

wbarber

So turned this today, is my first post, and first tycoon pen. I turned it out of some wood I got off ebay about a year ago, and was going to turn a bowl, but ended up cutting some off for a pen. Well I figured when he shipped it he had what kind of wood it was but didn't and I can't remember what it is to save my life. The wood is a burl, very soft. I usually write it down but got it during christmas last year, and just forgot to. Comments welcome, the fit isn't as good as I like but for first time with kit not bad.

Attachments

• PC242708.jpg
    PC242708.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Wes; A Touch more light on the subject would help us to identify the wood a little easier.

My first guess was Thuya Burl. Are there many eyes? Are there any eyes? That would be a deciding factor!

wbarber

There were eyes, but not alot, I remember that the wood was an uncommon wood, not like walnut or redwood. Hence why it caught my attention, was cheap so I got it, left it on the box, and remembered it a few weeks ago. Tryed turning shift knob (another side project i do for VW's) and it exploded on me. I need to stabalize the rest of what I have.

I will try to get some better pics of the pen and the spare wood that I have. Thanks for the comments, and will keep you posted.

Fred

Try looking in your purchase history on E-bay and see "if" the purchase is listed in your records.

I agree with Mack that the picture is a bit too dark for easy identification, but it is really a nice looking pen. Ya did good!

Top Bottom