First Post! Intro...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Lee K

Lee K

Howdy!

Thought my first post should be a photo. I have only been turning since late October, been mostly tinkering with different things on my lathe to see what I like the most, and what likes ME the most.

I have done about 12 pens so far, and as expected, each gets better than the last. One thing I enjoy the most about woodworking is the wood itself, and what its capable of!

This particular piece of cherry, I have had around my shop for a couple of years, I turned two bowls from it and the prettiest part couldnt fit in the bowl, so I saved it for a pen! Its very figured, so I did my best to be careful, but the bottom of one of my blanks blew out during drilling. I stewed on that for awhile, until I read a thread here about turning off the 'stupid' part and putting something else back, so here it is. The blow-out replaced with a bit of solid surface 'sample' material I got from a local cabinet shop.

Looking forward to getting better with both my turnings and my photos (I also took some tips from the Photo your pens posts/narratives)

thanks, and I welcome any comments, critques, suggestions!

Attachments

• WEB Cherry2.JPG
    WEB Cherry2.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 251
  • WEB Cherry.JPG
    WEB Cherry.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lee K

Thanks everyone! I am amazed by the work ya'll do here, looking forward to doing more!

And I, too am a Gator Fan! Fun time to be stuck here in Georgia !!!

ctubbs

Way to go, Lee, great save. Bob Ross says there are no accidents, just happy opportunities, or something like that. Me, I have total wipeouts. Great save and welcome to the IAP from far west Kentucky. Be sure to check out the library, great info form true talents there.
Charles

seamus7227

Fantastic job!! I really like the outcome and the way you recovered from the blowout! Remember to always think positive when anything negative happens to your pens during production, because typically that is when you learn the most valuable lessons and refine your skills and become better!

Oh, and welcome from Wichita Falls, TX

Atherton Pens

Welcome to IAP. Nice looking pen and great recovery.
You said you're a Gator stuck in Georgia. What part of GA. We have an IAP chapter in the Atlanta area and you'd be welcome.

Lee K

You said you're a Gator stuck in Georgia. What part of GA. We have an IAP chapter in the Atlanta area and you'd be welcome.
not too far from you ... mailing address of Carrollton, but more on the 166 side near douglas county.

I think I saw the meeting date of Apr 2? I may try to make that.

Drstrangefart

not too far from you ... mailing address of Carrollton, but more on the 166 side near douglas county.

Sounds like you're close to Fairfield Plantation. Had the bridge not been washed out in the September floods it would be a 10 minute drive from my place. Either way, get my attention if you're seriously considering going. Carpooling may be an option. As an added bonus, I already know how to get out there.:):biggrin:

Lee K

Sounds like you're close to Fairfield Plantation. Had the bridge not been washed out in the September floods it would be a 10 minute drive from my place. Either way, get my attention if you're seriously considering going. Carpooling may be an option. As an added bonus, I already know how to get out there.:):biggrin:
thats a deal!

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome!

Top Bottom