First post...be gentle!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevenpetry

stevenpetry

Well, first pics I've posted anyway. Turned a bunch of slim lines and euro's way back in the day with my dad, and recently picked up the habit again, only to find that the availability and variety of pens has really taken off. I can't stop trying new kits! lol Anyway, these are a few of my more recent ones. Started turning on centers and like the results, just wish I was a little quicker at it. Anyway, give me your critiques. All are welcome. I know my photo skills are lacking. Gotta get off my but and pull the trigger on a decent set up.

First up is a hybrid cigar in gold Ti and black Ti with maple burl. Started with the bushings to get close, then went to centers. Sanded up to 800, then CA, then MM and HUT. Lighting was a bit better this time.

Next, a hybrid cigar in platinum and black Ti with buckeye burl. Love how the buckeye and the Ti complement each other. Finished the same way as the previous cigar.

Majestic in rhodium and black Ti with Black Russian. This is one tough blank. Skew had to hit the stone after every two to three passes and took forever to turn. Finished by sanding through the first few MM pads, then numerous coats of CA, then the full spectrum of MM and HUT polish. Pics are a bit dark and don't really show the depth this blank has.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I work really hard to get photos close to yours. I can't wait to see when you get a "GOOD" setup.

Oh, and really nice pens. I like the maple burl the best. But I think you should be penalized for doing bunches of slims & euros without showing any of those.:biggrin:

Where did you get the blank in the last photo? I really like it.

76winger

Maybe first posting of pics, but obviously not your first pens. Great looking pens and the photography is pretty good as well.

stevenpetry

Thanks for compliments guys. Try to answer some of the questions. The slims back in the day was when I was 10, so they have since disappeared. The photos were made from multiple shots and layered in photoshop. Funny thing is, I shot them on a burp cloth with a cheap point and shoot digital camera. I also have a bachelors degree in fine arts with an emphasis in computer graphics, so I guess I have a little head start on that aspect of this post! That last blank, black Russian, is from exotic blanks. It was the hardest material I've ever had to turn. The HSS skew I have would only make it for two passes before dulling. Needless to say, it took some time to finish.

Ambidex

pens

Beautiful pens Steve. May I ask how you apply your ca finish? I've been doing this for 3 years now and still have problems sometime with the ca not coming out that well.:frown:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
They sure look good. I use PS for adjusting Forensic type photos and have threatened to learn Layering, though not for that application. I just never have done it. I love your work!

Thanks for compliments guys. Try to answer some of the questions. The slims back in the day was when I was 10, so they have since disappeared. The photos were made from multiple shots and layered in photoshop. Funny thing is, I shot them on a burp cloth with a cheap point and shoot digital camera. I also have a bachelors degree in fine arts with an emphasis in computer graphics, so I guess I have a little head start on that aspect of this post! That last blank, black Russian, is from exotic blanks. It was the hardest material I've ever had to turn. The HSS skew I have would only make it for two passes before dulling. Needless to say, it took some time to finish.

Hendu3270

Pens look outstanding, as do your photos. I do have one questions though. Why put a CA finish over the black russian blank? It's plastic, and can simply be sanded, polished and buffed. Either way, it looks awesome.

stevenpetry

They sure look good. I use PS for adjusting Forensic type photos and have threatened to learn Layering, though not for that application. I just never have done it. I love your work!

It's really quite simple. I just copy pics on top of one another. PS automatically creates a layer for each one. To makes things simple, use the eraser and set it in brush mode to soften the edges. Then erase the parts of the layer I don't need to reveal the layer below. And repeat as additional layers are added. You can also adjust the levels of each layer to adjust for different lighting in the shots. Once that's all good, flatten the layers and save it as a new photo. There's a better way to achieve the same results, but this is simple way.

stevenpetry

Pens look outstanding, as do your photos. I do have one questions though. Why put a CA finish over the black russian blank? It's plastic, and can simply be sanded, polished and buffed. Either way, it looks awesome.

Either my skew was causing it, or the blank has something in it, but it had some very minor pitting after it was turned and sanded.

Hendu3270

Either my skew was causing it, or the blank has something in it, but it had some very minor pitting after it was turned and sanded.

Ahh, I gotcha. I've run across that with some of the "mica" blanks and it drives me crazy having to go soooo slooowww in an effort to not chip the blank and leave pits, etc. I use a carbide cutter tool, I made awhile back, and address the piece at an angle and make super lite cuts. Again, they look great.

Top Bottom