First post on the forum. Thought I'd share this piece of history.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from r4x

r4x

Hi everyone. My grandfather was in the Navy and was on a PT during the Korean War (USS Marias).

Recently, I came across some original teak decking from the USS North Carolina. With his bnirthday approaching, I knew I was on to something.

I give you this Nautical Pen. It's a PSI kit with a blank made from the USSNC teck decking, complete with CoA for the origination of the wood. How did I do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzTxsLPbcgs

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Akula

Nice wood selection.

It looks like you have some shiny spots and sanded too much in areas. I would take it apart, sand it back down then apply the CA finish until you have a smooth high gloss finish. That's just me but I either want a flat or gloss even finish.

r4x

Thanks. Actually, the shiny spot isn't the finish. I've sanded and sanded it and then sanded it some more. No matter what I did, that spot would not lay down and dull out so I could make it uniform, so I'm going to leave it. I think it's something that's actually in the wood.

qquake

Your father should really appreciate it. I love historical wood. I'm curious, though. Why did you post your pictures on Photobucket instead of posting them here? I hate Photobucket's popup ads.

r4x

Your father should really appreciate it. I love historical wood. I'm curious, though. Why did you post your pictures on Photobucket instead of posting them here? I hate Photobucket's popup ads.

Sorry! I didn't know that was a thing. Let me see if I can figure out how to fix that. :)

Edit - Aha! Got it fixed!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Medina, Ohio!

For your first post - your pen is excellent, be proud! I wish my first was as good.

Have FUN!

robutacion

Thanks. Actually, the shiny spot isn't the finish. I've sanded and sanded it and then sanded it some more. No matter what I did, that spot would not lay down and dull out so I could make it uniform, so I'm going to leave it. I think it's something that's actually in the wood.

G'day mate,

Welcome to the IAP family...!

I was also going to mention that shiny spot on the barrel, it does look like it was an issue from the sanding after the CA application, and I was wondering if you actually wanted it shiny or matt finish but, from your answer above, I tend to believe you wanted with the matt natural wood look and I also read about your explanation about the shiny spot, if you were aware of it and try sanding that area more and didn't change the results, there was nothing else you could do unless you have compromised and change the finish to gloss making that spot to disappear/invisible and more uniform type finish.

You asked for opinions and I would like also to say something about the shape/fit particularly on the bottom part of the pen and while I never remember to have seen that kit before, I agree with you on your video about the great intricate details of it and looking closely to the diameters of both top and bottom parts of the pen, it seems to me that, it could do with a lot more meat at the bottom, not so obvious on the top part but and if you turned the barrel to the kit provided bushings, that bottom part doesn't seem correct in my view, also a slight barrel shape of the pen barrel body would look a little better.

Again, these are my observations and as always I call it as I see it and mean no harm or any attempt to put your work down, you will find with time here that, some of us are direct type people and are honest with our opinions, the intent is to possibly identify issues that have been overlooked or not seen at all and assist new turners to be open to constructive criticism and be positive about it.

Don't be too disappointed though, overall you have done a much better job to many other folks that are just starting and that has to be said, also...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Jdubfudge

Awesome gift. My buddy was a docent on the USS Wisconsin and got me some teak from the restoration. I'm doing a bunch with the same kit and giving them to my Navy and Marine Corps friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mallbee

I'm really glad you posted this. I served on the Battleship New Jersey in the 80's and belong to an association of Battleship Veterans. I had been pondering making this exact pen using teak from the decks of the New Jersey and making it available to my fellow shipmates. If/when I do, I'm going to laser engrave the ships silhouette and name into the barrel right before I finish it, as well as offering them their name and rank/rate engraved on it as well.

After seeing your pictures I now know that it will make a fine pen and a nice keepsake for those who served on her as well. Hopefully I will be able to acquire the teak from the ship to do this.

Thanks for sharing

r4x

I'm really glad you posted this. I served on the Battleship New Jersey in the 80's and belong to an association of Battleship Veterans. I had been pondering making this exact pen using teak from the decks of the New Jersey and making it available to my fellow shipmates. If/when I do, I'm going to laser engrave the ships silhouette and name into the barrel right before I finish it, as well as offering them their name and rank/rate engraved on it as well.

After seeing your pictures I now know that it will make a fine pen and a nice keepsake for those who served on her as well. Hopefully I will be able to acquire the teak from the ship to do this.

Thanks for sharing

That will be an amazing gift for your shipmates! Please keep us posted!

r4x

G'day mate,

Welcome to the IAP family...!

I was also going to mention that shiny spot on the barrel, it does look like it was an issue from the sanding after the CA application, and I was wondering if you actually wanted it shiny or matt finish but, from your answer above, I tend to believe you wanted with the matt natural wood look and I also read about your explanation about the shiny spot, if you were aware of it and try sanding that area more and didn't change the results, there was nothing else you could do unless you have compromised and change the finish to gloss making that spot to disappear/invisible and more uniform type finish.

You asked for opinions and I would like also to say something about the shape/fit particularly on the bottom part of the pen and while I never remember to have seen that kit before, I agree with you on your video about the great intricate details of it and looking closely to the diameters of both top and bottom parts of the pen, it seems to me that, it could do with a lot more meat at the bottom, not so obvious on the top part but and if you turned the barrel to the kit provided bushings, that bottom part doesn't seem correct in my view, also a slight barrel shape of the pen barrel body would look a little better.

Again, these are my observations and as always I call it as I see it and mean no harm or any attempt to put your work down, you will find with time here that, some of us are direct type people and are honest with our opinions, the intent is to possibly identify issues that have been overlooked or not seen at all and assist new turners to be open to constructive criticism and be positive about it.

Don't be too disappointed though, overall you have done a much better job to many other folks that are just starting and that has to be said, also...!

Cheers
George

Hi George.

I do appreciate all feedback. No harm done. I just looked at it again and you seem to be correct. I could have left it a little fatter and it would have lined up perfectly. When I turned the blank, I did cut it all the way down to the bushings. I used the ones that Craft Supplies USA sent me that the description of the pen said to use, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or if something else. Next time though, I will keep this in mind and leave a little more meat on the bone. :embarrassed:

Top Bottom