First Post and first pics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nanosec12

nanosec12

I have only been making pens, or turning at all, for about a month and decided it was time to get some feedback. All three are finished with CA/BLO with an overcoat of HUT crystal...

First is a Trimline twist with black palm with gunmetal fixtures
Second is a Trimline twist with Yellowheart and 24k gold fixtures
Third is a Trimline twist with BOW and chrome fixtures

please comment away and help me get better

Thanks

Rick Moore
USN Retired

Attachments

• Dads Pen.jpg
    Dads Pen.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Joans Pen.jpg
    Joans Pen.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Ricks Pen.jpg
    Ricks Pen.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The finish looks good, just be careful with the larger section on the middle pen. A little taper is nice but can get too fat for most people fairly quickly. The black palm looks nice and can be a bit of a pain to turn. Good work.

Janster

Nice start.....

...you'll get better as you go! Hit the forum library and read, read. read!
Welcome to the site!....Be well........Jan

nanosec12

The finish looks good, just be careful with the larger section on the middle pen. A little taper is nice but can get too fat for most people fairly quickly.

The fatter middle pen was on request actually...it's for my step-mother and she has trouble gripping things that are too thin/narrow.

Thanks for the feedback, and the black palm was a pain to turn it kept tearing out slivers, but i think i got it under control in the end.

1080Wayne

Before finishing , I find it helpful to examine the barrels under different light sources . Low angle incident light , either natural or artificial , is preferable to direct overhead . Also helps to look at the barrel both lengthways and sideways , rolling it entirely around .
This should allow you to detect any areas needing further sanding to remove tool marks .

Difficult to evaluate the black palm because of the darkness of the photo , but it definitely is a difficult wood to turn , particularly crosscut .

Top Bottom