First post:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yaroslaw

yaroslaw

It's my first post, and I need your help in determining wood of this pen.

Made it from a cradle, that I was sleeping 30 years ago:) Cradle is from USSR times. Does not look like domestic wood (birch, beach, etc), it was probably made of some African wood? 30 years ago USSR was very friendly with a lot African countries, which could lead to cheap African wood.

Wood drills and turns like charm, very dry (no oils), very fine dust out of skew, slight pleasant scent. Black lines - long open pores, filled with CA/sanding dust.
I have more of it (for 10 slims, may be, and few bigger pens) so I would like to know how to describe it for customers.

Anyway, it's about my 15th pen, modified slimline kit (ressembles Russ'es pens), with inlayed paprika rings:) Matte CA/BLO finish (looks like bare wood, but it isn't).

Attachments

• DSC_5890.jpg
    DSC_5890.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_5841.jpg
    DSC_5841.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_5889.jpg
    DSC_5889.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Welcome to IAP.

I am really hopeless with wood and quite possibly wrong but it looks similar to my wifes dressing table that we got for a wedding present in South Africa, which I know is South African Oak.

I'll chop a bit off the back where she won't notice and see if it turn like you described. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 166

SteveJ

I'll chop a bit off the back where she won't notice and see if it turn like you described. :biggrin:

Wow, let us know how that works out for you....

I wouldn't "chop a bit off the back" of a wedding present hoping my wife "won't notice."

Then again, I might like to hear the conversation that happens when she DOES notice!

As for the pen in question, no idea of the wood, but it sure looks nice, and I like the paprika accents.

alamocdc

I like the modified style in slims and turn more like that than traditional. The first thing I thought when I saw it was Narra. The color and pore structure look nearly exactly like that of a FP I did in it some years back.

daveg

Nice pen! I like the lack of a center ring, makes the pen look more organic to me.

The pore structure reminds me of Padauk (also called Narra), but the color's wrong at lest for the Padauk I'm used to turning, which is very red when turned & then darkens with time. Depending on the sub-species Padauk can come from Africa or SE Asia. I took a look at the Shedua which is in the same family as Padauk (Fabaceae) and the color seems to be about right, and the pore structure is similar although they didn't show a good sample with the pores at an oblique angle like yours is. It seems to be exclusively from Africa from what little research I've just done, so it might be a good choice.

yaroslaw

I have a few pieces of Amazaqou (another name for shedua) and made a pen from it few days ago. It doesn't look like this pen and wood at all. Amazaqou color is dark brown with greenish and this is light brown and more reddish. And, pores are much bigger in diameter here. I took a piece and sanded and grain - pores are big, irregular, not even close to pics of shedua. Just like palm on photos.
Could it be palm? Wood is very light.

yaroslaw

I like the modified style in slims and turn more like that than traditional. The first thing I thought when I saw it was Narra. The color and pore structure look nearly exactly like that of a FP I did in it some years back.

Wow, it can be Narra, photos looks almost indentical! I have some padauk, which is closely related to Narra, but it's bright (even bloody) red and very oily. Made a rhodium slimline for my GF from it without finish, just polished highest grid I have, and it looks nice. So my first thought was "no it can not be Narra" but then I checked photos. Looks very close.

Brooks803

Love the pen. Paprika filled inlays huh. That's a new one for me. Also my fav style slimline. I'm no help on the wood though, sorry!

Oh, and LOVE the satin finish. I think it shows off the wood so much better than the high gloss.

Top Bottom