First pinecone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Linarestribe

Linarestribe

This was my second attempt at a pinecone pen. First blew up. It turned great with a little CA help and placed on a 24ct Wallstreet II.

One question though. My CA finishes all seem to end up with ridges in a swirl down the blank, candy cane style. My guess is the paper towel I am using. Can you guys chime in a CA applicators you use?

Thanks
Jorge

Attachments

• image-2865684144.png
    image-2865684144.png
    939.7 KB · Views: 493
  • image-2489498493.png
    image-2489498493.png
    1 MB · Views: 121
  • image-2013972736.png
    image-2013972736.png
    1 MB · Views: 158
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesH

Shop Towels! Are you sure the ridges are not related to sanding? In other words, no sanding enough on the edges of the blank?

By the way nice pen!

C

Sent from my iTouch.

JRay8

I was getting the same on my pens. I was not spending enough time with each sanding pad while wet sanding. Basically I was not sanding out the scratches from the previous sanding pad before moving on to the next. I also started using micro fiber towels for the polish. Now I get great results.

Linarestribe

Shop Towels! Are you sure the ridges are not related to sanding? In other words, no sanding enough on the edges of the blank?

By the way nice pen!

C

Sent from my iTouch.

Thanks.
I think I am sanding enough. I MM After applying CA the polish With Novus 2. The ridges run down the whole blink. One thought I had was to apply a lot more CA then be more aggressive with the lower sanding pads. I noticed you do a lot of coats on your pens. How do you sand that.

Jorge

ZanderPommo

from what you described, you're spreading on the CA moving your hand too quickly side to side, or using too low of a speed, or both. if you're not careful to avoid this you end up with little raised spiral ridges, can be solved by extra sanding, look at the pen under good light at every angle when sanding your pens. nice pen by the way!:)

JRay8

Keep sanding with the first mm until the finish is even. Make sure you are wet sanding too. If the ca gets hot it will melt an wrinkle.

Linarestribe

from what you described, you're spreading on the CA moving your hand too quickly side to side, or using too low of a speed, or both.

Good point. I apply at about 1000 rpm but I do move back and forth fast.

Keep sanding with the first mm until the finish is even. Make sure you are wet sanding too. If the ca gets hot it will melt an wrinkle.

Thanks for the help. I do wet sand but a guess CA is harder then I think to get through. In all its 8 coats of med CA.

Jorge

ZanderPommo

I'm tellin ya the lighting makes a big difference, even using an LED flashlight helps, i see most of the ridges when i look down along the pen towards my light source

navycop

This was my second attempt at a pinecone pen. First blew up. It turned great with a little CA help and placed on a 24ct Wallstreet II.

One question though. My CA finishes all seem to end up with ridges in a swirl down the blank, candy cane style. My guess is the paper towel I am using. Can you guys chime in a CA applicators you use?

Thanks
Jorge
I dont use CA but some people use a foam applicator. It is like the ones used in florest shops.
PS Great pen..

Last edited:

Hubert H

Nice pen. I was talking to someone who had excessive ridges - makes for lots of sanding. They found out they were putting to much pressure on when first putting the CA on. Just a light pressure while going back and forth pretty fast. After the CA begins to set-up you can use more pressure. Still have to sand but the ridges were less. Towels do make a difference. My 2 cents. HWH

Top Bottom