First Pine cone success!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

Well I was ready to never buy another pine cone PR blank again. Twice I destroyed blanks that were being made into a pen. The only thing I was able to make out of the first two was a Jr Gent II cap, and a Key Chain on the second after the top cap blew apart on me. So when I placed a recent order with Exotics, I decided, one last try. If I couldn't make it work this time, I was done for good with that blank as it must just be too advanced for me. I decided on a cigar pen. I also decided I would make the heavier pine cone areas of the blank my CB ends and not the thinner ends. I kept my tools as sharp as I could. I had ribbons flying every where. I only had one little pit on the tip end up by the transmission coupler, I quickly fixed it with shavings and CA. I finished the WHOLE pen! :eek: I was so proud/happy at the same time. Going slow and working calmly, helped me to produce this nice pen. It is on a chrome cigar. I did 1 coat thin ca, and 4-5 coats Monty's thick CA and then did my wet MM. I am so very happy to have tamed the pine cone! Thanks goes out to Jeff for making some very cool blanks. I am very happy I was able to complete this one finally!

pineconeCigar-2.jpg
pineconeCigar-1.jpg
pineconeCigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Looks beautiful Todd. Were the two that broke purchased from me too? That blank is not PR, it is Alumilite. It fills really well and has nice elasticity. You have to take real light cuts and have a real sharp chisel though, because pine cones are kinda soft and sticky, so they will catch on a dull or aggressive chisel. I use the carbide rotondo tool and I'm a very aggressive turner until I get close to the end and then I take it real nice and gentle. Never broke one yet. Pulling out a small piece of leaf or a seed, is normal. I really like how that lower section worked out for you..I like the off balance, a cluster on one side then it really spreads out on the other..like a tree exploding.

Drstrangefart

Yeah, I turn just the core of the pine cone, sometimes soaked in CA, sometimes not. If you get just slightly too aggressive or your tools get the tiniest bit dull, they will punish you with no hesitation or remorse. I've gotten turning at least the breed from my front yard down pat now.

ToddMR

Looks beautiful Todd. Were the two that broke purchased from me too? That blank is not PR, it is Alumilite. It fills really well and has nice elasticity. You have to take real light cuts and have a real sharp chisel though, because pine cones are kinda soft and sticky, so they will catch on a dull or aggressive chisel. I use the carbide rotondo tool and I'm a very aggressive turner until I get close to the end and then I take it real nice and gentle. Never broke one yet. Pulling out a small piece of leaf or a seed, is normal. I really like how that lower section worked out for you..I like the off balance, a cluster on one side then it really spreads out on the other..like a tree exploding.

Jeff, yes the other two were ones I bought from your stock on exotics. I learned some good lessons on them lol. Alumilite eh? For some reason I thought it said they were done in PR lol. Thank you for letting me know! Yeah I am trying to order a woodchuck pen pro so I don't have to worry so much about constant sharpening. I am for sure very happy with this pen. Now let's hope it sells tomorrow at the show lol. Thanks for the positive feedback!

ctubbs

Very good Todd. Congratulations on a fine job. Good for you, sticking to something that continually blew up in your face like that. I believe I would have learned a whole bunch of new words I could not use in public after all that, though.
Charles

wiset1

Truly amazing pen! This looks like dragon scales on a pen and really adds impact. I also have a Pine Cone blank from exotics, but it has sat in my bin for about a month now. Perhaps I'll do something with it over the holiday season after seeing yours. I'll also have to keep the tools sharp. Awesome pen!

Top Bottom