First pine cone pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ohiococonut

ohiococonut

Everyone here had to start somewhere so here's my entry into pine cones :biggrin:
After a couple of months I felt comfortable enough to try this so I bought some and gave it a go on a Gatsby. It was much easier than I thought and didn't require much ca at all. The guy I bought them from had never sold them to a pen turner and had no idea they could be made into pens. Hopefully this venture will work out for both of us.

Another poor attempt at photography with linen and a cheap camera in my workshop.

PineCone1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ohiococonut

Thanks for the compliments.

Nope, I didn't cast it. Just used ca for a finish.

Yes, I bought pine cones :redface: But I did get a big box of them! Here in Ohio where I live we just have little pine cones. After picking the seeds off, or whatever you call them, these are large enough to do just about any pen. Squirrels around here are large but I doubt they would know what to do with these :biggrin: I'm tempted to.....ah never mind.

I should mention before I drilled it I put ca on both ends, just in case. After I drilled it I ran thin ca down the inside of the hole.....just in case. Didn't start using ca on the outside until I was almost to the dia I wanted, again, just in case. Sanded and finished with about 10 coats of thin ca. Did the colored pad thing and polished with One Step. Sorry, I'm not up to speed on all of the achronyms used or names of products :confused: I'm a noob, remember. Except for running the ca down the hole I pretty much used the same technique I use on most burls.

Last edited:

firewhatfire

I didn't do nearly as well on my first second or even third attempt. As a matter of fact I am still a failure are those things. Ya'll keep posting them and I will have to try again.

Looks good

Phil

ohiococonut

Great job, you are using darn near the same routine I use on pine cones, works very well. Were the cones from a longleaf pine or another species?

I have no idea? He didn't say and I didn't ask. Does it matter :confused: All I know is he said they were extra large and they average 8". I looked at the picture and guesstimated they would be large enough once the seed was gone. I got lucky I guess. I was just happy to find them.

MarkD

Very Cool! Great Job! I love the look of the pen. I want to give them a try when I can find a supply for them around here.

Top Bottom