First Picture with Light Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jben

Status
Not open for further replies.

jben

Ok, here it is; comments and evaluations please, need to know what is wrong and what is good.

tn_Baron%201.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

OK, I'll be the odd one (I'm used to that). The background is a bad color; it's too distracting. The "rest" is too big, too; it overpowers the pen in the picture, and makes you unable to crop the picture close enough for us to REALLY see the pen. On the plus side, it does look clear, and I agree with Brad, the lighting looks nice and even.

kenwc

What lights are you using and where do you have them? I just purchased a light cube but no lights yet...

Pic looks good by the way.

jben

I have three Mini Spiral Fluorescent Bulbs, 120 volt - 19 watt -5500k. Brand name n:vision daylight, rated 75 watt equivalent. I have them positioned one on each side and one on top. These were purchased at Home Depot with three clipon holders.

Originally posted by kenwc
<br />What lights are you using and where do you have them? I just purchased a light cube but no lights yet...

Pic looks good by the way.

JimGo

Oh yeah, and James, that looks like it's a heck of a pen! You did a great job aligning the "grain" when closed, and the fit looks pretty good too. Sorry, did't want you to think I was trashing either the pen or the pic; both are at least good to very good. A few tweaks to the pic (IMHO) and you'll have a great pic, which will also allow us to better see the pen. If you're curious as to what I consider a good pic, check out the ones in the Critiques forum (it's a closed forum, but you can still see the pens there), or look at the pictures posted by Bruce Boone (BTBoone), Anthony Turchetta (Penworks), and James Mann (Fangar) - there are others who take good pics too, and I don't mean to slight anyone, but their pics come quickly to mind as consistently great to excellent.

leatherjunkie

Thanks to you I now know that gold hardware looks good with horn.
the pen looks great.

the only thing i would change with your pics is the background color.
you might try a gray or a blue background color.
other than that your pic is better than mine.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
O.K. but only because you asked.[:D]
If I were looking through a pen catologue this picture wouldn't be out of place.
If I am looking at it on a pen turning forum I can see the detail in the rock better than the pen.
The suggestion of a different color backround is a good one.
Also, you mention the use of flourecent lighting.
It has been my experience that those types of lights alter the colors.
Only you can determine if the colors in the picture(red cloth) are the same in person as they are in the picture.
Tey taking this picture in sunlight and see how natural light shoes up.
It might be better to post a larger picture of the pen here (without the extranious accouterments) and an"artsy" picture in the photog forum.
I normally pass over thumbnail pictures in this forum.Too many pens to see too little time [:D]

jben

Thanks all, for your thoughful comments. I too thought the rock background was a litte off, but wanted something to compliment the picture. I will try some different backgrounds. Again, thanks to all who responded.

Penmonkey; I did not paint the tubes as the horn was very dense and not at all transparent.

Rifleman1776

Nice rock. What's that pen doing in the picture? [:p] Seriously, what are you trying to feature? Some type of interesting background is fine, I often use rocks also. And the background should be closer in shade to the subject, extreme contrasts make getting a great picture almost impossible. The item you wish to portray is a minor player in this photo. Looks like too much light and glare from the right side (clip especially). That slam-bang aside, it looks like a beautiful pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom