First Pics Post Ever....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf308

wolf308

I am new to pen turning and I wanted to get some constructive criticism from everyone about anything I need to do different on my pens. These are all slimlines because I wanted to get a feel for turning and finishing before I wasted alot of money, don't worry I'll go to better quality pens soon, so here goes....fire away...

1. Eastern Red Cedar

2. Rosewood

3. BOW

By the way I'm not a photographer either, I'll put that on my list of things to learn right after pen turning...

Attachments

• Eastern Red Cedar Slimline Gold #1.jpg
    Eastern Red Cedar Slimline Gold #1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Rosewood Slimline Satin #1.jpg
    Rosewood Slimline Satin #1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 154
  • BOW SLIMLINE GOLD1.jpg
    BOW SLIMLINE GOLD1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodenDragon

Local Chapter Leader
Way better then my first few pens!! I'd say your off to a great start and your definately in the right place to learn.

fernhills

Very nice work. Nothing wrong with the slimline, a very popular pen with both men and women of all ages. It is nice as is or augmented to your liking.

broitblat

It looks like you've done a great job. The delicate curves you've adopted work well for the slimlines without detracting from the overall visual appeal or the wood grains. I think it takes a good eye (and a steady hand) to introduce a smooth curve without looking too bulgy.

One minor observation is that the cedar looks slightly overturned at the nib end, however (not that *I've* ever done anything like that :)).

Thanks for sharing.

-Barry

woody350ep

Very nice pens. But, as has been said, don't for a minute think that slimlines are not "good" pens. You would be surprised at how much you can do with them, and how many people do not like the "classier" pens because they feel to big. Just some food for thought. So, uhhh, like, chew on that lol

wolf308

Thanks everyone For your comments, I was actually refering to the two pens which are of the "funline" series of pens (kinda low quality but cost efficient). As far as pens are concerned I prefer a slimline myself to write with because of the size. But cost or quality aside, it is just as fun to turn a cheaper pen as it is to turn an expensive one!

And I Just tried my first CA finish today, my is off to the CA Pros!!!!
(CA finishing is one thing you can't read about and perfect, it's all about the feel.)

Thanks again for the comments!

woody350ep

100% about the feel. I have read countless tutorials and guides for it, and I couldn't tell you what I took from them that I apply now. You end up applying little things here and there, finding what works for YOU, and don't worry about what works for anyone else. I can't see your pens from my house. It is most definitely a pain in the butt to figure out, but when you get your method down, that monkey jumps on your neighbor's back :)

Top Bottom