First photos with new light kit with tent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BrentK

BrentK

This is a pen I turned a few weeks ago. Waited to take the pics when new portable studio arrived. So all suggestion on photo and pen are welcomed and encouraged.
tn_AF12.jpg
tn_AF13.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

You need to tighten the tip of the pen before it falls off.
The photos are under-exposed by at least 1/2 stop and more likely a full stop.

BrentK

Wow just checked the tip sure enough it was loose. Thanks Gerry for catching that for me. Can anyone help me with the under-exposed deal and how to correct it. I use a Nikon D-50 I love the camera but really dont know how to use all the features. I have it set on the flower icon. From what I have read that is the best position. Thanks for all the comments. Keep them comming

Dan_F

I'm guessing you are using automatic mode on your camera, and using a white or very light background. In auto mode, the camera is designed to produce a picture which is overall a shade of grey, which is what a "normal" scene would generally be. There are several ways to compensate for that, but you will have to get out the users manual, and learn how to use some of the other functions. The easiest would be using "Aperture Priority", which should appear as an "A" on your dial. Set the aperture to 8, the camera will set the shutter speed, which will be too fast, because it's still trying to turn the scene gray, assuming you are using a white or very light gray background. So compensate for that by setting the shutter speed down by a few steps until you get the proper exposure. Using an aperture of 8 or greater will give you greater depth of field, which is the area in which your subject remains in focus, but will require longer shutter speeds. I hope you have a tripod, if not, you will need one.

You will want to do some reading, and become familiar with camera speak, such as "aperture, f-stops, shutter speed, exposure". These are the keys to the kingdom to better photography. It's really simple once you understand the jargon and the way exposure works. Exposure is simply a matter of balancing the aprerture(how wide the lens opens, expressed in f-stops), with shutter speed, which controls how long the sensor is exposed to the light entering the camera.

When the lens is open wide [f 2.8], you need a faster shutter speed, and you ;have less depth of field. Conversely, when the lens is "stopped down" [f 32] you need a much longer shutter speed to allow the same amount of light through the lens, but have a much greater depth of field.

Dan

Grizz

Banned
I love the pen!!!!! The picture is under exposed and/or just not bright enough. I copy/pasted the pictures and used my Corel Photo Paint.

All I did was hit "Auto Equalize" and "Color Balance" and it automatically made your picture look like this.

af13mx8.jpg

af12kf6.jpg

BrentK

I saw the creases in the fabric. I just unpacked it all today and had to try it I will iron the backgrounds for my next pic. Thanks for all the comment I do appreciate them. I am still a newbie of about two to three months so with all of your help I will improve.

Brent,
That's a nice pen, I like the Baron, but I'm not a fan of this blank.. I guess I'm a little old fashion about the flag... I hate to see it in anything except a flag..
"Matress Mack" at Gallery Furniture in Houston always wore a "flag" shirt when he did his commercials...I came to hate those commercials. I think it's disrespectful of the flag to use it for clothing and such.
That's just my take on the matter and I don't mean to disparage your work in anyway. Also don't mean to take anything away from those who feel otherwise.

By the way, I'm using my son's spare camera(he has upgraded to a D-80) for my pictures now, a Nikon D-50.. he gets terrific pictures out of it, I don't... he has said I need to use the manual settings and learn to adjust the f-stop and settings... maybe someday..

Top Bottom