First photos (and a little nervous...)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Munsterlander

Munsterlander

Finally got my camera and photo tent - these are my very first photos and after I get back from 2 weeks in the UK I'll be able to play with this and do a better job with the photography - give me a couple years and I'll get better at the pens... ;) The camera is the Canon SD1100 IS - Amazon had a special running where you get the camera and a photo printer for $169 (and free shipping) - but it's pink (breast cancer awareness package - I can deal with pink). The reviews I read about this camera and its digital macro capability were very positive and for not doing any tweaking whatsoever (no gray card, out of the box lights and flash) it seems promising - need some work on the glare here and there, and the chopstick holder was the only thing handy and not what I'd want to use. Used the $40 photo tent / light set also available at Amazon (also generally postive reviews, though folks seemed to think the lights are underpowered).

The pens are all finished in straight CA, 6-9 coats thin, plus 2-3 medium on a couple of them. One more photo in a sec...

Attachments

• 2Tone Acacia Slimline, Gun Metal.JPG
    2Tone Acacia Slimline, Gun Metal.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 2Tone Amboyna Exec, Rho.JPG
    2Tone Amboyna Exec, Rho.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 285
  • Maj Jr Asian Redwood.JPG
    Maj Jr Asian Redwood.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 304
  • Curly Pyinma, Poker Pen.JPG
    Curly Pyinma, Poker Pen.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 259
  • DI Burl Comfort, TN.JPG
    DI Burl Comfort, TN.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

Here's the other, plus, just for grins, the actual first photo I took with the maco capability... (it's pretty small, but I'll understand if the moderator deletes it...)

Attachments

• Thuya Exec, Rho.JPG
    Thuya Exec, Rho.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Ice Cream.JPG
    Ice Cream.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 284

GouletPens

Not half bad, Mike! If you're like me, then you'll always be tweaking your pictures and never be 100% satisfied, but you're off to a great start.

woody350ep

I like all of those. BTW, I noticed the poker pen. Did you also get those SL from WPP? I bought some from him but havent made any yet and wondered if that is what I am in for.

rjwolfe3

Wow those are impressive, I am going to check out that camera. It actually picked up the detail in your background as well as the pen. I wonder if you can get it without the printer for a lot cheaper.

S

spiritwoodturner

Mike, I think those are darned outstanding! I fiddle with a camera 10 times as expensive and sometimes they don't come out that good. Love the pens, love the pics, you're off and running.

rj, cheaper than 170 bucks?!!! Buy the package and sell the printer on craigslist, or wait til your printer croaks. Man, that's almost silly cheap. Mike, that's almost cheap enough to buy one for my kids to play with. VERY good find!!!

I'm very impressed!!!

Dale

S

spiritwoodturner

Mike, are you sure the law's not looking for you?!!! I just now checked Amazon as I was wondering how the heck you got that for that price. The BEST they have now, as far as I can see, is 160 bucks, camera only, free shipping. Heck, paint it silver with spray paint if you get tired of the pink, but you STOLE that, and I'm considering reporting you to the authorities! I mean, that camera is 8 mp, my Canon 10D is 10mp. I do love my camera, but I think we paid 1100 bucks for it when it first came out!

I think you get the award for best purchase in like...forever!

Dale

P.S. I just found what I think was yours, with a PINK Selphy printer (very cute, Mike!) but it was 230 bucks now, free shipping, STILL a killer deal. You should be ashamed of yourself for taking advantage of Amazon...

Last edited by a moderator:

Munsterlander

Looks like you're right (I am so ashamed...) - the package I bought is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SD1100IS-Pink-Selphy-CP760
/dp/B001E96G1S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_10?ie=
UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231264491&sr=8-10

[join these up into one address - it chopped off most of it when I first posted]

and now is $230 - funny, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get the camera as a Christmas gift (though I did get a nice moisture meter) so I just decided to go ahead and buy it for myself and found this deal. What luck!

Another thing about this camera - it's TINY - looks are deceiving, I would never have guessed it has the capabilities it does based on appearances had I not done some research on it.

rlofton

Wow! Very nice ice cream and chocolate syrup shot. Oh, the pens are very nice too. (Headed to the freezer for some of my own---won't last long enough for a picture.)

randyrls

Mike, are you sure the law's not looking for you?!!! I just now checked Amazon as I was wondering how the heck you got that for that price. The BEST they have now, as far as I can see, is 160 bucks, camera only, free shipping. Heck, paint it silver with spray paint if you get tired of the pink, but you STOLE that

If you want to same deal; Add the camera to your wishlist, look at it a few times over a week or two, then delete it from your wishlist.

You will get an email saying they have it on special for special customers, or whatever the current marketing term is for lying.

akbar24601

very nice work! Beautiful blanks and good paring with the kits. The photos look really good. I kinda like the chopstick holder!!!

Munsterlander

I could ship the ice cream, but it would require dry ice and a gyroscopically balanced shipping container, which I think I can get on ebay for about $3K - for that kind of money you could even splurge on Cold Stone!

Seriously, thanks for the positive feedback and suggestions. I didn't like the noisyness of the background either, but I went with it for these first pictures just because I was short on time before leaving for work travel. Many of you do very nice composition with just a little something extra along side the pen (can't remember who it was, but recently say one with just a couple of flower petals that really looked nice) and I'll be trying emulate that in some way, along with improving the lighting a bit. Those pens all have a pretty glossy finish, but it doesn't show up very much in the photos and I don't yet know how to do that. More fun. And maybe the chopstick holder will hang around after all...

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Now, that last photo is a very good picture. But it'd be better is I could "confirm" the texture in person.

Oh, beautiful pens, too. But the white and blue ceramic you are using to hold the pens up seems, in my opinion, to distract from the pens. But I'm sure you know that.

Great pens! Awesome photography too!

My only thing I would change if I were you is the item holding up the pen. It is very cool looking, which is a bit of the problem. I caught my self looking at that almost as much as the pen! Maybe its just that I've seen a million pen pictures and that thing is very interesting, so it may not be a huge concern. I just think it detracts from your pen, like Cathy said above.

Excellent photos and pens!

Top Bottom