First photo posting for me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from C_Ludwigsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Ludwigsen

Hi folks. I just posted my first photo in my Album (C_Ludwigsen). Hope you like them. These were all turned as father's day presents in the week preceeding the big day.

I had to start over on the Rosewood Fountain Pen as the first blank shattered off the brass tube when I went to remove the wood for the centerband.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melchioe

The rosewood fountain is very nice - I also like the birdseye maple - very nice pens!

Exploding finished pen - That happened to me the other day (the first time - I swear - no, really, it never happened before :+) ;))

For me, it's usually (oh, wait, it's only happened once) insufficient glue coverage. It's made me really examine my technique of glue spreading, using q-tips and a strong flashlight to spread my Gorilla glue thorougly inside the blank before coating the tube and instering...

The most recent time (OK, it's happened TWICE, but no more:) it was on a very beautiful Carolina Cherry burl.... Fully finished, just parting off the tenon for the centerband - and that CA finish took a long time - messed it up the first time, had to sand off and do over. Argh.

ilikewood

Gee Chuck,

A blown blank NEVER happens to anybody here! (and if you believe that, I have this wonderful property to sell you down yonder in the local swamp [:D] )

Seriously, you have some nice looking pens there and your fit looks excellent.

Daniel

Thats it. I recomend six months of exile for blowing up a blank. But on second thought I wouldn't be able to come back for 40 or 50 years. so maybe it should just be overlooked.
Reallly though. it doesn't hurt as much if you get the shattering stuff out of the way early. waiting till your at the last touches on the pen really makes it count.

tipusnr

Nice pens. Are these the first pens you've made or the first you've photographed? I'm thinking the later as you are already developing a signature style in the slimlines. Either way I'm impressed and would like seeing more of your work.

C_Ludwigsen

Thanks everyone. Glad to know I wasn't being a gorilla to cause that rosewood to explode.

Bill, I've turned about 20 pens to date and have another 10 in progress. These are the best yet as I'm getting a handle on the CA finish process and they are the first I've posted here. A few of the earlier ones are posted on my website.

I just got asked to make 2 more of the Classic fountain pens, so I'll get a little more practice removing that one section down to the brass.

I'll post more pics as I get them done. Thanks for the encouragement all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom