first photo post and cartridge pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

This is a cartridge pen I made this week end and my son wanted it. so gave it to him. The cartridge is .308 (from my stock pile), the tip is a copper tip (didn't drill out a bullet) the top is buckeye burl with a CA finish and the clip is a gun metal rifle clip sorry the picture is bad it is the only one that came out. Thanks any comments will be appreciated. William

Attachments

• cartridge pen.jpg
    cartridge pen.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

AHHHH Photos, a Pen Makers Kryptonite (sp?) Both pics are a bit blurry. Did you switch to Macro Mode (Flower Icon) before taking the photo? That mode is made for close ups. Also I would get a tripod like suggested and swtich to a manual mode on the camera and play with the settings for a while and set to the lowest ISO speed, I think mine is at 80. When you take the pic use the timer if you have it, I set mine for 10 secs that way all hands are off the camera when the photo snaps and no chance of shaky. I am in no way an expert and have a ton to learn but these are the few things I learned right away, on this site, that at least made my pens visable in the photo. Also a white or Grey background will help the pens showup better. A Chrome pen can get lost in a white background. I use a Cannon PowerShot 10MP and it works fine for where I am as a photographer. Once I outgrow it and know I have reached its limits as a camera I may upgrade but they may be a while.

Ohh also look into some CFL 6500K lights, I use 3 (2 lamps and one clip on light). I was told about these here and they made the world of difference. I got them as 2 packs at walmart for about $10.

From what I can see the pen looks nice. I LOOOVE Buckeye burl. It is just an amazing wood, it is truely one of Americas Exotic woods.

Last edited:

triw51

Chris Thanks for the comments I do appreciate the feed back and I am always looking to improve.
The camera I have is an inexpensive automatic one. Use to have nice camera but uses film, have not invested in a really nice digital one yet.

SDB777

Chris Thanks for the comments I do appreciate the feed back and I am always looking to improve.
The camera I have is an inexpensive automatic one. Use to have nice camera but uses film, have not invested in a really nice digital one yet.

Happen to have a phone with a camera in it?
You'd be surprised as what they can do....

Scott

Haynie

I would say between the low light and shutter lag (as most inexpensive digitals suffer from) you over stepped the limits of the camera without flash. The second is much better but I also don't see a flash. You're down in cottonwood. Should be plenty of sun these days. That will get your pen in focus. A little Wally world tripod outside and you are good to go.

butchf18a

It is not necessary to spend. Lot of money on a decent camera. A little on-line research or asking some questions at local camers shop will give you lots of options.

Top Bottom