First "Petroglyph" pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spiritwoodturner

S

spiritwoodturner

I know Eugene calls these "Arctic Fern" (thank you, Eugene, for the idea!) but I'm going in a different direction here. This one I made with plain white, but I made some with a kinda grey base, then got the wild idea to mix in some fine black sand, to try and replicate granite walls with ancient art on them. BIG MISTAKE! The sand WASTED my little Proxxon table saw blade (actually and thankfully, it's carbide tipped and is getting sharpened as we speak) and I think the actual ROCK in the blank may have had a bit to do with it. But after having done a a few of my own Homebrew (man, that sounds good) I thought I'd see how one looked on a nicer kit, a Statesman. I'm happier with the combo on this one.

Anyway, criticism is welcome, this is my 3rd Homebrew pen and am a raw recruit here. You couldn't dull my enthusiasm with a Howitzer!!!

Thanks,
Dale

Attachments

• iap7.jpg
    iap7.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 266
  • iap8.jpg
    iap8.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 221
  • iap9.jpg
    iap9.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Those are fun to cast it looks like you did a nice job, I've never done them on any thing other than Slimlines, Cigars and Sierras, I admire your bravery :biggrin::biggrin:

Stevej72

Dale, I like that, nice work! I tried casting black sand once. It was extremely hard to turn and ruined my tools. Made a nice looking pen, though.

JohnU

That turned out great. I tried casting some myself with silmar 41 and white oil paint but for some reason the blank breaks away from the noodles so I put it on the back burner for a while. maybe I should try alumilite next time. Thanks for the heads up on the sand!

Top Bottom