First Pentel opinions please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Nolan

Nolan

OK couold I get some honest opinions? I didnt finish it as I was just looking for fit, finish and shape. Please let me know what you think and I am going to use it for awhile to see if it hold up and if I need to adj my building practices. I like it so far as I can use up shorter blanks that you folks wont buy. If it holds up I will put a finish on it and put it on my desk to match my Jr. Gent Rosewood burl.

DSCN4178.jpg

DSCN4179.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Looks good Nolan! I've been having trouble keeping the clip from moving around and marring my CA finish. Just keeping it on is a problem too. If you cut a recess like the original you can't slide it on and if you stretch it to get it on it's too loose. Any solutions?:)

its_virgil

I have not experienced the problems with the clip that you mention. I think it may be that I make them larger in the clip area and the fit is not lose. I do make a recess for the clip like the original has and it works fine for me. I also slide the clip from tip to eraser end in one motion and I've not noticed any scratching of the CA finish. I suppose if the diameter gets way to large then some scratching of the finish may occur. I also tend to make the pencil a little larger than the stock barrel to make the pen just a little more sturdy and less fragile. Keep playing with the diameters and you'll find what works.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by rherrell

Looks good Nolan! I've been having trouble keeping the clip from moving around and marring my CA finish. Just keeping it on is a problem too. If you cut a recess like the original you can't slide it on and if you stretch it to get it on it's too loose. Any solutions?:)

its_virgil

I like the wood Nolan, and I too think you should go ahead and finish that puppy. And, I agree with Chuckie, I think a little more taper from bottom to top would look better but that is just my personal preference. If you like the pencil then that is all that matters. Your first pentel is far better than my first one. I look forward to seeing more.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Nolan

Originally posted by rherrell

I put a recess where the clip goes, as far as it spinning well I guess you can manually spin it. I will have to see if it works loose and spins on its own. I also put it on from the nib side so after I finishnit I will have to see how it goes when I try to get the clip back on:D

Nolan

Originally posted by Chuck Key

A slight taper from the clip area back toward the eraser cover would look nice to me.

Chuckie

Chuckie do you mean make it bigger around toeards the eraser?

Nolan

Originally posted by n4631x

A slight taper from the clip area back toward the eraser cover would look nice to me.

Chuckie

Chuckie do you mean make it bigger around toeards the eraser?

No, smaller.

Chuckie

I will try it on the next one and see if I like it . Thanks for input.

jskeen

I love the work, and the wood. The fit looks flawless down at the nib, which is very difficult. I try to put just a slight taper from the top of the clip toward the eraser cap to compliment the taper from the clip to the nib, but great work in any case. You gotta repost the pics when finished.

James

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Really nice Nolan ! I agree with a little taper at the top above the clip . And does it matter if the clip does spin ? The pen is the same all around end to end . JMHO [8D]

sparhawk

Nolan, i didnt know you had any blanks that someone wouldnt buy:D. If thats your scraps im in bad shape with my good ones![}:)]But the pencil looks great Ineed to try one of these one days.

Top Bottom