First Pens to show off here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russianwolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russianwolf

I just started this obsession about 3 months ago although I've been doing flatwork for years. I actually bought my lathe to turn chessmen for boards that I make. I figured turning pens would be a good way to get my feet wet and practice for the chessmen.

I have posted my first attempts over at BT3central.com and I've put a couple of those in my album here, but the ones I'm posting tonight are fresh from the lathe.

Comments are welcome of course (Or I wouldn't be posting them ;) )

Titanium Gold Cigar with Curly Koa
20077243558_Curly%20Koa%20and%20TG%20Cigar.jpg

Chrome Euro with Cocobolo
20077243631_Cocobolo%20and%20Chrome%20Euro.jpg

Satin Euro with Koa
20077243647_Koa%20and%20Satin%20Euro.jpg

Upgrade Gold Euro with Padauk
2007724371_Padauk%20Euro.jpg

All four are finished using Micromesh up to 12000. The Cocobolo only has a wax top coat while the other 3 have a laquer top coat.

(I know the photos are poor, I'll have to build a better setup later)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Greetings Mike;

Another familiar name from the "old crew" Welcome to the forum.
I like that curly Koa.

Rifleman1776

Very good first batch. Your photography certainly isn't the worse we have seen here. Pretty good, in fact. You could cut out unnecessary background and get closer. (look who is talking. [;)] I know I'm going to get zinged [B)] after my most recent pic post. )

cdcarter

Wolfman --

Very nice. I prefer to do my Euros a little fatter, but that's entirely a matter of taste, and it's far from a certainty that I have any. Great work.

Russianwolf

Thanks for the comments guys.

The Curly Koa is actually a commissioned piece, along with a Mahogany Euro for the guy's wife. I'm really happy with the wood, but had a bit more tearout than I am used too. I'm sure it's just the nature of the wild grain, but it scared me a bit when I was roughing it to round.

My favorite wood is the Padauk. I love the smell and it just turns beautifully for me. And being a Clemson Alum, I kinda like the color too.

cdcarter

Padauk is a pleasure to turn, for sure, and people like the rich reddish color. I use it a lot, but I wish it had a little more grain.

Originally posted by Russianwolf
<br />Thanks for the comments guys.

The Curly Koa is actually a commissioned piece, along with a Mahogany Euro for the guy's wife. I'm really happy with the wood, but had a bit more tearout than I am used too. I'm sure it's just the nature of the wild grain, but it scared me a bit when I was roughing it to round.

My favorite wood is the Padauk. I love the smell and it just turns beautifully for me. And being a Clemson Alum, I kinda like the color too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom