First pens and photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Codesman

Codesman

Josh and I finaly decided to post photos. These are a few of the ones we have done. We are still working on getting good photos. We made a tent and used a HP 627 still not happy with results. Any comments on the pens or photos are welcome.
Shawn & Josh

Image Insert:
2008321421_Pens%20group.jpg

Double cartirdge, Cartridge antler, Canary wood, Corian, Canary, Corian,Cartidge antler

20083215047_Corian.jpg

Corian Josh turned. having trouble getting good photo.

20083215423_Spalted.jpg

Spalted Maple

20083215658_30-06%20antler.jpg

Antler 30-06

20083215921_Canary.jpg

Canary

2008322150_Antler%20copper.jpg

Antler

200832260_Antler.jpg

Antler

As you can see some photos are good most are out of focus or light is wrong. Look forward to critique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

Shawn & Josh, I won't address the photo help as I would just banter off some BS to make you feel good:D

While each to their own I feel saddened that such fabulous material has been sacrificed to the low end kits. I would be interested to know if they sell for much more than 'regular' material.

I can't see the blurred pics well enough to comment. I like that you have done away with the centre band on the antler. It looks OK from what I can see.

Your Canary wood is under turned, that's why you can see the much lighter band where the cap joins at the CB. The angle of the pic also makes it look as if you have used two different pieces/colours.

I am sorry to say but I believe you spalted maple is very seriously under turned. The bottom section is much too narrow as it looks like it would be perfect for a straight slimline.
Your cap is way too thin until you hit the CB and it is way too over sized in comparison. I would say it looks as if you were turning a slim line and realized at the last minute it was for a different kit.

Some smudges on most of the metal as far as I can make out.

There is a lot of information on the Photograph section, and some in the library that will help you improve your picture taking.

Codesman

Ruth,

You are 100 % correct on the spalted Maple. This was the first Euro I did. It has taken some time to get use to turning them. Yes we did use base kits, but we have only been turning for 3 months and did not want to use better to start. The metals were not smudged, I think this is from the phtography. More shows up when you take the pictures. I posted these here as I thought comments from other turners would be heplfull. We are learning more each time we turn.

Shawn

Tanner

It looks like you are well on your way. I agree with Ruth on what was said.;) Just slow down, use a caliper, tripod and a paper towel to wipe the pen down before you take the picture. I always slightly angle my tool rest out in the middle of the blank when I get close to the end. Then I go back and hit it straight accross at the very end so it's not bulbous yet not bowed in.

aurrida

i think the diagonal composition is a good place to start. keep it simple to start, group shots are far more difficult to light and photograph without proper equipment, large format, studio!

get the focusing right, tripod whatever it takes

begin with one light and reflector get this right before you add second light.

second light to fill in shadow. i personally like a little shadow it gives depth and a three dimensional look.

turn down your light source, experiment, you may find a dimmer looking light to your eyes produces better pictures and a less burnt out look.

happy snapping

Ligget

When I think back to the first pens I produced, they were pretty bad, to be honest most of us in the IAP were turning out not so great work at first.[:0]:D

You are on your way though to producing better pens, if you learn from this place you can and will get a lot better at pen turning.[^]

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing what you are going to post next.:)

jwoodwright

I agree with Mark, some of those beginning pens...[:I] We all went through the phase of critical review... Some of the critique was harsh![:0] Reminds me of be careful what you wish for, you may get it...
;)

Then Jeff made a new section, Show Off Your Pens... Supposed to be kinder and more gentle...:)

You're making progress. That is what pen making is all about. You practice and then some more. Finally, it all comes together.

Just remember, Mr Murphy can show up and ruin your best blank... Or hide your tools or just make a mess of your finish...;)

Top Bottom