First Pens -- Need your honest opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alzey

Alzey

If I did this post right you should see a picture of my first 3 pens. I never even touched a lathe until 5 days ago. The wood came from a pen starter kit so the grains don't match. Other than that, I am looking for honest opinions.

Attachments

• IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 399
  • IMAG0303.jpg
    IMAG0303.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

Looks great. Slim line pens are a great learning experience. You have already learned that straight is not the only way to go with slim lines. Go to the Library here and read as much as you can. The help there will save you tons of mistakes and they will also give you helpful tips.

seamus7227

Welcome to the group from wichita falls, tx! For your first three, excellent work! save those pics and look back on them in a year or two, you will see a dramatic improvement. Dont hesitate to ask questions!

Alzey

Looks great. Slim line pens are a great learning experience. You have already learned that straight is not the only way to go with slim lines. Go to the Library here and read as much as you can. The help there will save you tons of mistakes and they will also give you helpful tips.

Yea i have never been a fan of straight, thin pens. I have spent hours on this site and in the library before I decided to buy my lathe. Now I am hooked. Can't wait to try my hand cutting my own blanks, making segmented blanks, and what ever else i can dream up or copy from the library.:biggrin:

They do look good. Just remember that pen parts don't always match bushing size. I use the bushings as a rough estimate and use a micrometer to measure the pen parts to get my final size of the blank.

Justturnin

Welcome to the Vortex from Spring Tx. Those are some nice looking pens. as was said above you want to get a set of calipers to get everything just right. I recommend this site for a read. It has all of his articles that have been in woodturning design. Change the way I turn pens. One think he mentions is the thumb nail test. That is my goal on every pen. Cant wait to see some more.

http://kurthertzog.com/demos.htm

jedgerton

Remember to save at least one or two of these. It will be interesting to compare these to what you are turning after you hit 50, 100, 200 etc. pens. I still have my first and it doesn't look nearly as good as your firsts.

John

Alzey

Welcome to the Vortex from Spring Tx. Those are some nice looking pens. as was said above you want to get a set of calipers to get everything just right. I recommend this site for a read. It has all of his articles that have been in woodturning design. Change the way I turn pens. One think he mentions is the thumb nail test. That is my goal on every pen. Cant wait to see some more.

http://kurthertzog.com/demos.htm

Just did a quick look though this link. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

ghostrider

Honest opinion.

The contour of them seems nicely done, but other than that it's difficult to tell.

It looks like the blanks match the kits, and that the fit is good, but the lack of definition and sharpness in the pics leaves it undetermined.

I do like the styling though.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Honest Opinion

Honest Opinion. You need a bit better match where wood and metal meet - not a major problem. I'm not overly fond of straight slimlines either so I like your choice of shapes.

edicehouse

Much better than my first 3. But then again I didn't check this forum out. I tried doing the grooves on one of my first, and got down to the tube.

Top Bottom