First pens I'm willing to share

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cbutzon

cbutzon

These are my first pens other than a 10-pack of slimlines from a starter kit (not worth sharing). Spalted beech, aluminum, and brass. I'm happiest with the brass one but I still have a lot to figure out.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 297
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sfhipchick

GORGEOUS!! :)

Congratulations on finishing some pens that you're proud of. I know how that feels, isn't it just the best? :)

I am currently getting back into turning pens after a break for about 8 years. This was followed by our decked-out tool shop being burned down about 1.5 yrs ago and finally it's mostly finished being rebuilt. We've replaced enough tools and supplies that tonight I am actually working on my first pen in 9+ years! I'm a bit nervous but hoping to finish tomorrow and will show off my attempt if it turns out! :) Won't be anything special but I don't dare risk my lovely new wood on my first time back on the lathe in such a long time!

Grats again, you sure did a nice job! :)

OZturner

Nice Pens Cory,
Well Turned and Fitted.
Are the Aluminium and Brass Blanks Polished? from the Photograph, it looks like there may be some Circumferential Marks, around the Blanks, or it may be just the Reflection of the Light.
Congratulations.
Brian.

cbutzon

Are the Aluminium and Brass Blanks Polished? from the Photograph, it looks like there may be some Circumferential Marks, around the Blanks, or it may be just the Reflection of the Light.

I'll call them "brushed." :biggrin: Truth is, I tried to polish them but just couldn't quite get them to the point of having a mirror-like surface. That's one of the things I need to keep working on.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Talltim

I'll call them "brushed." :biggrin: Truth is, I tried to polish them but just couldn't quite get them to the point of having a mirror-like surface. That's one of the things I need to keep working on.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Brushed is a good term. If you have not invested in some buffing wheels and compound they can work wonders. It allows you to approach the project from multiple angles instead of the one rotational axis the lathe allows.

With the right compounds and buffing wheels you can change brushed to brilliant in a fairly quick process if that is what you want. Then again some people want "brushed" and there is nothing wrong with that.

Congratulations on taking a bold step from your starter kit slimlines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom