First pens! go easy on me...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodNutOntario

Hi All,

Thought i would share what i have been up to!
Still getting this pen photography thing down, have to use my wifes camera as mine take 12MP shots!
Anyway...
The one on the left was my very first pen. My wife took possession of it, but i am not very pleased with it. Has a small gap at the centre ring on one side. I did not squre it up very well...
The middle one is an acrylic blank that turned out quite well. My 12 year old uses it and it is standing up to her abuse, so it should last a while!
The one on the right is an African Blackwood pen that really gave me a headache! The oily nature of the wood gave me trouble because i decided to give it a MinWax Poly finish, but it never dried. So it got sanded down again and waxed and buffed until it gleamed!
Fairly happy with that one but i have to work on my finishes!!

All turned on a 17" Sherline lathe.:biggrin:

As always, comments, suggestions or help always appreciated!!

Attachments

• 100_5122.jpg
    100_5122.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_5123.jpg
    100_5123.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

They look really good. I especially like the acrylic one. The step downs from the top & bottom to the center band looks really nice.

ZanderPommo

a whole heck of alot better than my firsts!
those are sale quality now start selling some so you can by more supplies and feed the vicious cycle i call an addiction!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice pens! I really like the acrylic best because of the beading you did with that pen kit. It really looks nice!

Daniel

Very nice work, moving up fast with that second one. I also like the bead work. Blackwood is a challenge in several ways. Sanding must be flawless because every tiny scratch stands out when it is filled with white sanding dust. It is oily so finishes do not like it much including CA. But it does not have the problems with cracking that Ebony does. Enjoy them or should I say I hope your family enjoys them.

Top Bottom