First pens from the Fleureau Peninsula timber gatherer!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi everyone,

Well, a few months ago I decided to take the day off cutting timbers and try all my brand new pen making tools. I had already done lots of reading on how to put these things together, and had no shortage of turning experience and timber finishing so I din't found it much of a trouble, even tough I worked very slow, thinking of every stage with care. I wanted to try a gloss finish that I used for many years with great success, as this finish is the closest thing I found from the CA finish. I like the gloss finish, as I like to see that perfect smooth glass finish on the timber, regardless if it has fillings or not. The process is basically prepare the timber for the last finishing coat, normally sanding sealer is used as preparation, them sand it down to a smooth grit, then heat the timber to about 75 degrees, as soon as it reaches that temp, a air brush spraying gun, is already set to spray a even coat of Floorseal from Feast Watson, putting it back in the oven for about 10 minutes at the same temperature, 75 degrees. This process is know as paint "baking" where the material is heated so when the varnish is sprayed the surface will its temperature until the chemical reaction of the hardeners reaches to solid point, which happen in the last 5 minutes of the process. After that, the pieces are let to dry at room temperature for at least 2 hours, preferentially where is a little air circulation about.
I like the CA finish, I just never used it to finish any timber before, so I played safe with the finish that I'm familiar with, time wasn't a problem as I took the day to go these 2 pens.

My first pen was made with the beautiful Old Olive root, #22 on my list. The second one was also a easy choice, as this timber, Flame Wood, #28 on my list is one a the few timbers that I have a very limited quantity off, and I will possible never have it again, as every attempt to identify it didn't succeed, and I only had the tree butt left on the ground to cut (3' tall) after the rest of the tree was cut by the previous property owner, or someone under his/her directions/orders many years before the new people took over. This tree was originally planted in the center of the front garden, and we know that the people that planted it, where migrants from overseas.

I decided to use a couple of common and not expensive kits for these 2 first pens, as i also have lots of spare tubes I ordered originally.

Pics aren't great, I just took them using 2 pieces of A4 printing paper as a base and background, here in the computer room where the light isn't strong at all. Anyway, is done so, is what matters...!

That Olive root pen is now my official personal pen, as I like it very much indeed!

The olive root pen first...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 022_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 022_(1).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 209
  • timber preparation 026_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 026_(1).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 271
  • timber preparation 027_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 027_(1).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 210
  • timber preparation 021_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 021_(1).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Now the Flame wood pen...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 046_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 046_(1).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 150
  • timber preparation 061_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 061_(1).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 153
  • timber preparation 028_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 028_(1).jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 189
  • timber preparation 047_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 047_(1).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 155

Bree

Cool pens! I have some spalted quarter sawn sycamore with similar flames that you would love! I haven't done anything with the boards so I was paying very close attention to how your pen came out.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

broitblat

Those are some good looking pens. You obviously have some great raw materials, but you know how to use them, too. Thanks for sharing.

-Barry

robutacion

My timber, someone else's work...! [1]

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the complements.
I agree, I do have great raw materials, but I think that I was born with a"good nose" for these things, as I pick-up certain timbers with the corner of my eyes that other people wouldn't see, and I have a good "gut feeling" on things (roots/burls) that are sometimes buried under ground, and I just dig for them...!:eek:
These "treasures" are most of the times rare, unique, and probably never matched, but I'm happy enough with sharing them and see them become stunning writings instruments, pieces of art, and a good example, of natural products that "Mother Earth" give to us!

This post is dedicated to other forumates from all over that, use my timbers (this case the #22 Old Olive Root) to produce their pens. Each one has its qualities, but all are much appreciated and admired by me and hopefully, by others also.

#22 Old Olive Root pen blanks, transformed...!
Cheers
George

Attachments

• JR MARSHALL-800.jpg
    JR MARSHALL-800.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Olive root 22_(1).JPG
    Olive root 22_(1).JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

robutacion

My timber, someone else's work...! [2]

Hi again,

As part or continuation of my post above, this is the other timber species from my collection (#28 Flame Wood), that I had the pleasure to supply for people (other forumates all over!) to make into beautiful pens.

They work needs to be seen, as also show, what this wood is capable off...!

Enjoy,

#28 Flame Wood pen blanks.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Flame wood - Eliza.jpg
    Flame wood - Eliza.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Flame tree pen.jpg
    Flame tree pen.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Flame tree pen1.jpg