First pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

After reading some comments in other threads where folks were displaying their first pens I thought it might be fun if everyone would post a photo of your first pen(s) just to let everyone know that we all started about the same and there is no need to be intimidated!

In the photo below is my very first pen on top and I'm pretty sure the bottom pen is my second or third. I lost the center band so decided to go "wood on wood" and it actually turned out pretty good...... all things considered! Excuse the grubbiness, they have been banging around my shop for 4 1/2 years now.

1_first_pens.jpg

So......... What does your first pen look like, Let's see it!

azamiryou

Here's my first two - diagonal cut oak on Sedonas. Not sure which is #1 and which is #2 though. This photo is from right after they were made (August 2009), I don't have them any more. One was a gift, the other... I don't know. Maybe my wife has it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• first-two.jpg
    first-two.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 254

Brooks803

Here are my wife and my first pens. The two on the left are hers and the two on the right are mine. We did two turning classes back to back and did wooden pens the first day and acrylics the 2nd. My good friend Hans (Hewunch) taught the acrylics class (I learned ALOT that day). We still have them all and will keep them to look back on.

Attachments

• 100_3510 (700x606).jpg
    100_3510 (700x606).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 324

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Boy what a difference. LOL:biggrin:
I have a couple of my firsts hanging around also
DSC_0003.JPG

The first pens I did were basic walnut, no figure,(I didn't want to ruin good wood) slims with wax finish. Then i went to slightly fatter slims with Poly finish.
The first walnut with wax finish.
DSC_0006.JPG

The next is Mesquite with Poly finish. The center band was added later. I made a walnut one but lost it or it got destroyed. I have washed this pen more than once.
DSC_0009.JPG

This pen was my first step away from the kits. I hand cut the clip and top out of flat sterling silver sheet. Soldered it to a tube and glued it in. It was 14gauge if I remember right and silver was $3.50 an ounce. The fit is terrible. LOL The nose cone is 1/2 the size of a slim line. It has a 7/32 brass tube in the pen on that end and a 7mm in the other. I step drilled it and made the lower barrel longer. The tranny is pushed half way into the pen. I had to make my own mandrels to turn it.
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

These pens were made in the late 90's I only made about 10 slim kit pens and a couple of the euros. Before I quit using kits altogether.
I quit making pens about the year 2000 up until I found and joined the IAP a couple years ago and started making pens again

Last edited:

hilltopper46

Here's the first three.

Some of us had / have further to go than others :redface:.

Attachments

• Pen002.JPG
    Pen002.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Pen003.JPG
    Pen003.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Pen001.JPG
    Pen001.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 201

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
My first pen was sold along with the next 19 in a previously placed order. But, here is one that came shortly after.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 226

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
HEHEH some of us didnt have anyone to show us how it was done. Some of us had to learn the hard way. I still pre drilled and tubed blanks from back then. I never finished them they are still sitting in a box.

Justturnin

Great idea for a post

Top pen was my first. I did not clean the mandrel and it got Oil all over so I ended up disassembling it and redoing it but ended up losing the wood and trashing it. the bottom one is my second pen. My wife carries it now. It is black willow burl w/ a Friction polish finish. I have only been turning pen for a couple of months but can easily see the differences in then and now pens. I have taken apart many then pens and refinished and fitted them
IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

seamus7227

My first five~!

My first five pens below.All have a CA finish. From left to right, Curly Ash Euro, Mahogany Euro(forgot the CB),Texas Mesquite Euro, Bubinga Euro(lower portion of upper barrel turned smaller than the CB:eek:,and Curly Ash slimline. Originally, i sold my first pen in all of the excitement of having my first sale, and around a year later went back to that same customer and proposed a deal with her to make her any pen she liked (that i had made to that point) for the return of my first pen. She quickly agreed and went with a snakeskin bullet click. So I really got over cheap!~:biggrin::rolleyes: I just decided that eventually i would want to reflect back on my work and have it as a constant reminder of where i started. Thanks for starting this thread George!

I also would like to add that "its_virgil" (Don Ward) was my teacher/mentor, now my friend, and played a pivotal part in my success! Thanks Don!!!

Attachments

• My first five pens.JPG
    My first five pens.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Bobalu

I couldn't find a photo of my first pen, which I recall was a walnut slim, but the first photo is my second pen. The black palm slim would have been my forth pen. The cigar was my fifth pen and my first acrylic. After finding out how easy acrylics were to turn, I didn't turn another wooden pen for several weeks. The cigar was the first pen I sold.....well, I made it and the wife sold it.

Attachments

• PA110129.JPG
    PA110129.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 153
  • PA280245.JPG
    PA280245.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 129
  • PN004-CIG-C.JPG
    PN004-CIG-C.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

crabcreekind

Here are my wife and my first pens. The two on the left are hers and the two on the right are mine. We did two turning classes back to back and did wooden pens the first day and acrylics the 2nd. My good friend Hans (Hewunch) taught the acrylics class (I learned ALOT that day). We still have them all and will keep them to look back on.

Brooks what are those?? store bought acrylics? and wood?
well, guess they were better than my firsts.

crabcreekind

here are my 1st 4... actually number 1 is.. actually #3.. my first 2 were a cocobolo pen and pencil

lacewood,holly,osage orange,pink ivory

Attachments

• 1st.JPG
    1st.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 2nd.JPG
    2nd.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 3rd.JPG
    3rd.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 4th.JPG
    4th.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Texatdurango

Looks like I'm not the only one to "follow the rules" making the first pen (straight, bushing to bushing) THEN got really creative on the next few with the curves and bulges! :biggrin:

its_virgil

George,
Prior to you going kitless I really liked your segmenting/laminating skills along with your CA finish. Thanks for starting this thread. I am currently in Oregon steelhead fishing but will try to remember to post my first pen when I get home later in the weekend.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Looks like I'm not the only one to "follow the rules" making the first pen (straight, bushing to bushing) THEN got really creative on the next few with the curves and bulges! :biggrin:

Last edited:

JF36

This is my first pen. Some kind of rosewood on a slimline kit.

Attachments

• first Pen.jpg
    first Pen.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 150

its_virgil

I remember you getting that first pen back. I also remember how you regretted selling it afterwards. For the help you are welcome. You have been an excellent student and friend. It is nice to have another pen maker close.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally, i sold my first pen in all of the excitement of having my first sale, and around a year later went back to that same customer and proposed a deal with her to make her any pen she liked (that i had made to that point) for the return of my first pen. She quickly agreed and went with a snakeskin bullet click.

I also would like to add that "its_virgil" (Don Ward) was my teacher/mentor, now my friend, and played a pivotal part in my success! Thanks Don!!!

JDennis

My first pen

I am unsure what type of wood this is. first thing I turned on a lathe.

Attachments

• 100_0765.JPG
    100_0765.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 133
This is my first pen and I still use it most every day. It is not the first thing I turned on a lathe because when I made it and pen #2 for that matter I didn't own a lathe. Bought the kit and the predrilled tubes (no drill press) and the kit at Rockler, chucked the mandrel in a 1/2" drill clamped it to the bench and went to work with a utility knife then turned on the drill sanded and finished it with wax. The wood is bubinga. DISCLAIMER, I do not advise this method for turning pens.

Attachments

• #1.JPG
    #1.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 161

G1Pens

Almost 1 Year Ago

Made my first pen not quite a year ago. Posted this picture of pens #1 & 2 on 11/19/10. Not sure what kind of wood it is, something I got cheap. This was the first thing I ever turned on a lathe. I am quickly approaching pen number 150, plus some keychains, bottlestoppers, and some other odds and ends. I'm having a blast !!

Attachments

• 1_Pens_1___2.jpg
    1_Pens_1___2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 124

Buzzzz4

These were some of my firsts in 2008. I lost my first pen and was quite bummed. I think it was a walnut with friction finish, but here are some that came shortly after.

Attachments

• PB240030.JPG
    PB240030.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 139
  • PB240031.JPG
    PB240031.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 126
  • PB240032.JPG
    PB240032.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 111

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
close

This would be a pen made in the first couple of weeks. I started making pen/pencil sets for all of my kids and their spouses and my surviving siblings and their spouses along with a couple of my neices and nephews. The first 50 or so went fast but it is possible that I still have the first here somewhere.

Attachments

• 1000ROSEWOODGOLDSLIM.jpg
    1000ROSEWOODGOLDSLIM.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 126

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is my 1st wood(purpleheart) and my 1st non wood(corn cob) from back in 2007. Thank God I have gotten better(I think):eek:.

Attachments

• 2007 corn cob.jpg
    2007 corn cob.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 2007 purpleheart.jpg
    2007 purpleheart.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 114

NC Wood Art

My wife still has my first pen, I figured if she allowed me to make them she should get the first one. It was a piece of Flame Maple Slimline twist.

flame_maple_24k_pen_1.jpg

renowb

I made my first slimline from a PSI starter kit. It was Padauk wood predrilled. I was hard up for money and sold it! Unfortunately, the picture of it was on an old computer that crashed. Probably could still get the pic if I really wanted too.

Lenny

:eek::eek: I wish I could make a pen NOW as nice as some of "youz guzs" first ones!

I made the mistake of giving away my first one but these were from the first few. :redface:

OKLAHOMAN

:rolleyes:Sorry I read just the heading, thought you wanted my first pen:biggrin:

Attachments

• QUILL.jpg
    QUILL.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 98

ghostrider

My first pen was done at Turn For Troops at Woodcraft, and I had help turning that one.

These two are the first ones I did myself, and they were done on my drill press because I didn't have a late at the time. The blond is Australian Cypress, and the brown is Wenge.

Attachments

• DSCN0614 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0614 (Small).JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0615 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0615 (Small).JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0618 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0618 (Small).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0624 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0624 (Small).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 66

76winger

OK, I got an updated picture of my Pen #1 so I could do a comparison. The pen looked nicer back then (it shows it's signs of wear on the edges now), but thankfully the photos have improved since then.

The top is the original taken in Oct. 2008 and the bottom was taken today, 10/29/2011. Just a little over three years later.

D.Oliver

Dave, did the wood on that pen darken that much in three years or is that a differnce in exposure, lighting or some other camera effect?

bitshird

Still not a lot better

This is actually the first Wood pen I turned, it's a piece of Andiroba on a satin pearl slim line, it was done on an old 15 in Clausing metal lathe, my first pen, was an aluminum pen the one shown in the second picture, as you can see, my skill level is still about the same. the nice feature of the aluminum pen is there were no brass tubes used.

Attachments

• First-Pen.jpg
    First-Pen.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 77
  • first-Aluminum.jpg
    first-Aluminum.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom