First Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fibonacci

Fibonacci

I just decided to get into pen turning a little over a week ago when I saw that lathes were on sale.

These are my first two, bloodwood and purpleheart. Unfotunately, the picture was taken soon enough after turning that the purpleheart wasn't really purple yet. It darkened nicely over the next day.

Unfortunatley, I have only been able to make one more since then, and I made the mistake of turning a blank that had been fully encapsulated in wax, so it looked great last night, and has a huge (to me) crack in it this morning.

I guess I will try some gap filling techniques. No point in wasting the blank, right?

EDIT: How long do people recommend for letting a blank acclimate to a new climate? Being in the bowels of the California desert, it is really dry here most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_2483_2.jpg
    IMG_2483_2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 305
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I recommend 1.6180339887 months per inch of thickness at the mean thickness of the blank per month, unless using Ebony or Snake wood.

bensoelberg

Looks great! If you don't mind saying, where in California are you? I'm in Bakersfield, so based on your description of the California desert, you might not be too far away. If not, you're more than welcome to come by my little shop/garage sometime.

A lot of folks will suggest weighing the blank. Once the blank has stopped losing weight due to moisture loss, it is acclimated to your environment.

Last edited:

Fibonacci

I am out in the Ridgecrest area, so a couple hours away.

That is an oddly specific number, particularly given that a month is of variable length.

Perhaps you use a lunar calendar? :wink:

Unfortunately, it was my orange asage blank that split. I had been saving that one until I felt confident that it would work. I was really, really happy with the shape of it too.

Oh well, at least it was fairly inexpensive. Now I have to wait until my order from woodnwhimsies shows up with more kits.

bitshird

I am out in the Ridgecrest area, so a couple hours away.

That is an oddly specific number, particularly given that a month is of variable length.

Perhaps you use a lunar calendar? :wink:

Unfortunately, it was my orange asage blank that split. I had been saving that one until I felt confident that it would work. I was really, really happy with the shape of it too.

Oh well, at least it was fairly inexpensive. Now I have to wait until my order from woodnwhimsies shows up with more kits.

The one thing that Osage Orange does better than any thing is Split and crack, I have blocks that were cut two years ago, ends sealed with Anchorseal and some still split, I have some pen blanks that were cut 4 years a go and they are in great shape, Osage is a very dense and oily wood, also one of if not the hardest wood grown in North America, and the odd number is from some old Italian dude I never could understand his Golden Mean theory I just had to remember it LOL, If you would like a few dry Osage blanks, drop me a PM and I'll send you a few.
Ken

Jgrden

Ridgecrest !! That isn't the end of the world , but you CAN see it from there.

I took my wife on a date to Randsburg, near Ridgecrest. Never did live that one down.

I once was employed by First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Ridgecrest. Worked for Gene Magregor. He did some film work, but I cannot recite which ones.

ctubbs

I still wish my first pen looked anything like that good. Good job. Sorry to hear that your OO cracked. Some woods just wait to do that, so I've been told. It never happened to me, just a friend or so.
Charles

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
EDIT: How long do people recommend for letting a blank acclimate to a new climate? Being in the bowels of the California desert, it is really dry here most of the time.[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well here in Southern Indiana today...About one month after the BIG thaw......at the current temperature (minus 5 degrees :eek: ) it will be about mid-August. :laugh:

airrat

They look good. Interesting bottlestopper. First one as well?

If you want them back. Tell your wife the purpleheart was not sealed and it will stain her fingers black. :rolleyes: AND your mom that the bloodwood was sealed with something that could cause it to smell. :wink: Best bet is to allow you to just put them on your display shelf and make them other ones, safer that way. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

disclaimer: if you don't want to sleep on the couch............

Fibonacci

Yes, the bottlestopper was my first as well.

I made a couple chess pieces, then the pens and the bottle stopper. I am really new to this whole turning thing.

I was trying for an art deco thing for the bottle topper, but ended up with more of an asian thing... as shown.

I don't think I should get too ambitious about getting them back. My couch is smaller than I am.

Jgrden

I took my wife on a date to Randsburg, near Ridgecrest. Never did live that one down.

Nor should you. My wife didn't believe me that it was actually a town, even after we drive through it.

Better than Johnannesburg though...
Johnannesburg was our next stop......I had promised her a shopping trip to buy a new Christmas Dress. heh, heh, heh.

Top Bottom