First Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jyreene

jyreene

Here are the first few pens I did, the first successful segmented pen that my dad helped me save (it was my second attempt), and one my wife made for me (I think it was her 4th or 5th overall).

Hope the attachments work.

I had a lot of fun learning how to make pens and figuring out where I went wrong. One of my bags didn't make it and that was the one with the Russian wood in it so once I get that back I'll take some shots and load them up. These photos were taken with my phone if they don't show up well enough I'll take some better ones.

From the left (I don't know some of the woods):
1 - my very first pen, I was playing around with learning how different pressures make different designs and burning designs with piano wire.
2 - I think this was Buckey Burl that the Woodcraft guys stabilized in Pentacril (sp?) made it look almost like Jade so it still looks neat but ruined the original style of the wood
3 - Not sure of the wood but I learned that I need to square up the disc sander to make the end of the blank square
4 - This was Teak burl that had blown. It had a lot of neat oranges in the piece that blew but I found a little bit of teak burl that my dad had lying around and to help them match up my brother was helping with the grip portion near the nib. We were trying to burn/blacken that rounded portion and went through to the brass. I plan on getting my wife to paint the brass black (steadier hands than I)
5 - This I think was zebra wood. I really focused on getting the measurements better and not gouging to deep
6 - Some Tulip Wood my dad gave me. One of my cleaner looking pens
7 - Not sure of the wood but wanted to try out a Wall St.
8 - First segmented, I think it was Kingwood and .... no idea it's been over 2 months. This was my second attempt at a segmented. Near the nib had blown out while polishing. My dad saved it and taught me how to fill with sawdust and CA.
9 - This is an Olive Wood that my wife made me. It was from the same package she made a really neat one it doesn't have as neat of a grain pattern but further proves that she has a better touch! For now.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. It sure is different from welding and fixing cars (and being a Marine). I can't wait to try a CA or BLO/CA finished as I think some of these would have been that much better.

Attachments

• My Pens.jpg
    My Pens.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 205
  • First Segmented.jpg
    First Segmented.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Wife's first for me (her 4th or so).jpg
    Wife's first for me (her 4th or so).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad