First pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bigevilgrape

bigevilgrape

I got my lathe for christmas and finished my first pen shortly after. I have been taking a turning class, but have never made a pen before, and my boyfriend has never turned at all.

Finsihed pens by bigevilgrape, on Flickr

The blanks are from the woodcraft 50 blanks for $20 sale, so I"m not sure what they are. My guess is yellow heart and paduk. Both on cigar kits. Mine is on top and finished with BLO I know it won't hold up well, but its what I had that offered instant gratification. Boy's is in red and finished with some BLO and a few coats of shellac.

I know there is a lot of room for improvements. i'm already working on my next one which I'm finishing with some quick dry poly. I'm following one of the articles from the library. I know everyone loves the CA finishes, but the smell really bothers me. Maybe when its warm enough to open up the garage doors I'll give it a try.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrap

they both look really good. you're off to a good start. I wish my first few were as nice as these.

SDB777

CA will make those eyes water up, and people do seem to like the plastic look on them, but don't forget....wood can be wood too. Just a simple finish like EEE and then buffed wax will keep the timber in top shape also.

I think I got the same box of blanks when I first started, and I can't believe they still haven't got around to labelling them still!

Well done! And I guess it's safe to say your an addict now(for which there is no 12 step program to recover)!!!!!

Scott (keep them coming) B

Top Bottom