First pens of '05

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from C_Ludwigsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Ludwigsen

Here are the first couple pens I've completed this year. This is my first attempt at scanning the pens (thanks Ryan). The pictures don't show the stripes in the Coolibah burl very well. That is one HARD wood.

1. PSI Comfort grip kit without the gripper. Coolibah burl and Pink Ivory. CA/BLO finish. This is only my 2nd lamination. The pen is for Scott M - my PINH recipient. It will go out tomorrow, Scott.

P501S.jpg

2. PSI Black Classic Rollerball kit. Light Red Lace Sheoak. CA/BLO finish.

P502S.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Very nice Chuck. I have some coolibah that needs turning, and you've just inspired me. Did you use CA to glue the lamination?

ryannmphs

Nice lookin' pens Chuck. That roller ball pen looks like it's hovering in space, I know it's not since I scanned it in for ya. Glad you're feeling better finally.

Ryan

C_Ludwigsen

Thanks all.

Gary, yes, I used thick CA for the laminate. Not knowing a better technique - as this was a fixit necessity - I drilled and barrel trimmed a short piece of Pick Ivory. Then I put a bead of thick CA around the brass tube and rotated the blank while pushing it on. I figured enough of the CA would push up into the seam and it did.

I think I might try some more of these laminations [;)]

Gary

I want to try some laminations too, and I'm struggling with how to glue them up. I know wood glue is no good for end grain to end grain glue-ups. Many recommend against using CA in gluing the tubes in because of the tendency of the glue joint to fail if the pen is dropped or gets a hard rap. Wouldn't the same hold true for using it to glue laminations. That pretty much leaves urethane glue or maybe epoxy. I'm not sure which route to go.

PenWorks

Very nice work Chuck, I have never scanned a pen, but they show up real nice. Nice touch on the lam.

Anthony

Gary, I do my laminations while turning and allways use CA

Gary

Originally posted by penworks
<br />Very nice work Chuck, I have never scanned a pen, but they show up real nice. Nice touch on the lam.

Anthony

Gary, I do my laminations while turning and allways use CA

Anthony, when time permits, could you be a little more specific. I had assumed you glue up the blank lamination then drill and glue the tubes then turn.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Great looking pens, Chuck. I've found that those Aussie woods are every bit as tough as the folks I've known from the outback (NOT the steakhouse). The lamination is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom