First pen, worst pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dwarmbrodt

dwarmbrodt

Hello all,
To answer to old saying, yes, this is my first day on the job. New member here today, turned my first pen 2 days ago. It came out bad. The first lesson I learned was ORDER THE BUSHINGS THAT MATCH THE KIT. Got a cheap starter kit, thought bushings were in it. So my first turn was a crap shoot and my wood to metal fit is horrible. My OCD wont tolerate that. Plus, my son suggested the shape of the lower section, which is very comfortable, but ugly. Reminds me of in the past women putting on tight corsets to reduce waist size, but still had a big butt. But thats just me. The maple came from a tree I cut down and was splitting for firewood and it just spoke to me and said save me. That was 20 years ago.
This pic represents rock bottom for me, a place to start.
Doug
firstpen_zps3ecbcd23.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey that isn't a bad start at all. That wood spoke to you right and it is a beautiful piece with great curl to it. Welcome to the beginning of a great journey. Pen turning is one of the most rewarding things I have done. It never gets old because you can always try something new. Read through the library and other more specialized forums and find out what others are doing. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

That "belly" is common for new pen turners to want to create that new beautiful shape or fear taking too much off at first. Wish my first pen turned out that well, I couldn't even get mine to take a shine or twist open for that matter. Had to learn to disassemble it to get it to work before I even tried it out. I didn't save my first...wish I had.

USNGSCS

Way better than my first one. I gave my first one to my wife (who loves it BTW, but then again she is married to me), so I can always look back to see how I've progressed. I'm up to pen 25 now, and while I am no means a master, I am turning pens that I can be proud of. I actually sold my first one last week. This site is a treasure chest of information. I never try a new technique without checking here first. Welcome!

dwarmbrodt

Thanks everyone. I am thinking i will give this pen to my now ex wife, seeing how the tree that this came from still grows in her front yard. I got plenty left from that quilted piece.
Edit: What am I thinking? I'll keep it...

Last edited:

ohiococonut

That's not bad at all compared to my first one. I kept turning and turning until it couldn't get any thinner and I spent 4 hours just trying to apply a CA finish which is why I call my first pen caca :redface:

That pen is a keepsake and a reminder of a new beginning. Keep it and in time you should be amazed at how far you've come.

plantman

Doug; That pen is not that bad for a first turn. The secret to proper fit, is to use the bushings only as holders for your blanks. Get the wood down close to them, but use a calipers to measure both your fitting and your blanks for final fit. Also if you don't use the center band, you aren't limited in the shape or size of your pen. Use the library to gain knowledge. Jim S

jttheclockman

I ditto what everyone else said about keeping and looking back at it if you plan on doing this for awhile. One other thing since this is your first photo shown, please down size your photos. They are too big. No need for that. Welcome aboard.

PenPal

Doug,

First times are hectic there are always three pens in your mind the one you wanted to make the one you wished you had made, then the actual pen.

Now I am over here I see pleasant grain I read your timbers history, not put off by the shape or considered imperfections at all. Cropping pics to essentials or getting arty farty your choice
none of my business sometimes we see so many pics one wonders why so many.

Now for the acid test take your pen bridle your comments explain the history of the timber allow someone to use it from your pocket LISTEN to other people and at the same time form your own opinion this IMHO becomes experience.

Showing pens on the forum allowed me to enjoy your pen I see you rounded the timber at the pointed end and the band then left the timber proud at the start of the top. You then recovered next to the clip. So as you said bushings would have guided you. Now also the pen kit can be changed by using a fatter band that allows more timber to be saved, other shapes to create. Having some means of measuring to allow matching sizes to the tip, band, clip conquers this.

Your finish is good the picture gives a clear view of the pen this often takes years for some members, I regard it as a worthy first one keep it at your own peril you could turn into a hoarder like me. My first car was an A Model Ford Tourer would I like to have it now, no way loved it in every way however moved on needs change.

One small thing I NEVER give pens in a container for preference rather give them from my shirt pocket saying or thinking please use this pen. Pen life reminds me I had a good friend who while I had the A Model inherited his Uncles A Model Sedan same year as mine like it came from the showroom it was trashed in 6 mths so it will be with your future pens used by different folks, treated differently their choice. My car experiences from the 1950,s.

Enjoy penmaking pick it up or put it away please enjoy.

Kind regards Peter.

dwarmbrodt

I realized my pic mistake and reported myself to admin. Wont do it again. Posting a BIG pic of my second rate work is not my smartest move...

You must be new to this, you say this is your first and worst pen. Trust me as you go along and try new things you will make worse ones. :eek: Save this one forever, you know where you can improve and just have fun with it.

Jjartwood

Hey Doug, give yourself a break!!
Fit and finish comes with time. The turn looks good,slims are the pen that will make you a better turner because they are unforgiving of errors.
The hard part is over,you've taken your first step into the dark side.
Welcome.
Mark

Hubert H

Not bad! Not bad at all! Even after years of turning you will want to do a better job the next time - or at least a person should.

Top Bottom