First Pen Unsupervised! : )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from candy1land

candy1land

I finally got to use my new Delta VS Lathe this weekend to turn my first pen unsupervised! (My very first pen I turned in my WoodCraft class two weeks ago).

I had a lot of "learning" moments with the tools I was trying to use and I was actually try to make two of these - one pencil and one pen - but the other blank ripped in half while I was using the barrel trimmer.

So in the end this is what I got...not bad for my first try with no help! Any tips, comments, suggestions are welcome.

I didn't do as good of a job on the transitions as my first go around but at least I know the bushings are true to the pen kit.

Candy

Attachments

• Pen #2.jpg
    Pen #2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 384
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well I can't see anything wrong with it, so can't offer any suggestions for improvement. :biggrin:

Have you put your name down for the PITH / Swap? :wink:

johnnycnc

Good job, Candy! Looks very good for your first unsupervised.
Just pay attention to what you learn along the way, and you are on the road to sucess!

Daniel

Looks good to me for the first time flying Solo. The PITH Is Pen In The Hat. you put yoru name in the hat and it is drawn to match you with another turner that has entered. The two of you will make pens and exchange them. I have a collection of pens made by other turners and it is the best way to add to that collection.

snyiper

Good job they get better as you turn more shavings!!!! At least I do. I think one is good till I turn the next one a lil better then the last one goes in the box!!!

ldb2000

Great job on your first solo pen . Now you can start obsessing on your fit and finish , like the rest of us .
A word of warning , the bushings may be a good guide while they are new but after a couple of pens they will no longer be a perfect fit with the kits anymore . Nicking them as you turn and sanding will make them smaller with each pen .
Get a digital caliper and measure the kit parts first then turn and sand to that dimension NOT the bushings .

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Great work, Candy! First of all, your photography is wonderful! You did a great job with the pen. I'm not sure, but thats either Bloodwood or Padauk. It looks quite handsome with the black.

Now follow the link and put your name down for the PITH.

You might want to get some cheap dowels and practice your tools on them to get more used to what you can do - without turning the other woods. Not that I think you need to do that. You did fine on this one.

nava1uni

Nice looking pen. I agree with Cathy Sue, I learned to use my tools on 1x1 and 2x2 pine from Home Depot. I still practice on them when I have an idea that I want to try out before I use the expensive wood, etc. Put your name on the PITH list.

Munsterlander

Nice job!

Don't know if other folks have had this experience - but for me, the only times I've had a blank rip apart while barrel trimming is when I left way too much length on and tried to just trim it down using the barrel trimmer instead of cutting it closer on my mitre saw. I used to leave a little more than is really necessary because I was getting a little tearout at the bottom of my blank when drilling - but if you have a scrap piece under the blank when you drill, then you really don't need more than maybe 1/16" extra on each end. 'Course that might not have been what caused yours to blow up, but just in case, might be useful.

Welcome to the addiction...

candy1land

Nice job!

Don't know if other folks have had this experience - but for me, the only times I've had a blank rip apart while barrel trimming is when I left way too much length on and tried to just trim it down using the barrel trimmer instead of cutting it closer on my mitre saw. I used to leave a little more than is really necessary because I was getting a little tearout at the bottom of my blank when drilling - but if you have a scrap piece under the blank when you drill, then you really don't need more than maybe 1/16" extra on each end. 'Course that might not have been what caused yours to blow up, but just in case, might be useful.

Welcome to the addiction...

That is a great point. I did leave a lot more than 1/16" on the end of the blank because I'm using a crappy blade on the miter saw and it's ripping the blanks up when the blade catches the wood. It was literally ripping it out of my hand.

I am going to replace the blade this weekend and try again to get the cuts right and I'm also going to clamp the blank down if I can so it has pressure on both sides of the blades.

This could very well have been the reason the blank ripped in half - I was trying to use the barrel trimmer to get rid of the extra wood on the end.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Candy

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've sometimes had a problem of the barrel trimmer tearing at the wood, but it was
usually because I didn't have the right size pilot. (Trying to trim a cigar blank with
the 7mm pilot) but with a slimline or streamline, this shouldn't be an issue. They use
the smallest pilot, so you couldn't accidentally use the wrong one.

If you continue to have a problem with it, I think there's some 6 blade trimmers
around.. lots more stable than the 4 blade trimmers and I think they're only $5 or so.
You could also sand them down closer before using the trimmer. Sometimes all it takes
is a quick catch of the blade on an uneven piece of wood and a great blank turns
into an 'uh-oh' ..

Top Bottom