First Pen Photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I'm pretty new here although I've several questions and received very good advice. I turned my first pen in mid-August and have done about a dozen since then, including a couple that I wrecked. Here are couple that I've done. The black one is obviously acrylic. The other one is Honduras Mahogany with a Bloodwood centerband. The lighting wasn't great, I need to build a light tent to do it right. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

2005930143344_Firstpens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Wow, the black acrylic is stunning! I really like that blank, and the overall shape of the pen. The mahogany and bloodwood is nice too, though the top near the finial looks too straight; I like the curve of the upper barrel on the acrylic better. I also like the shape of the lower barrel on the black one better.

On the plus-side for the mahogany, the centerband is a nice color choice, and and you did a great job with the joint; I'm still strugling with getting my homemade CB's to be square before I glue them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

Your fit looks fantastic! If you have only been turning a little over a month, you are well on your way!!!

The black acrylic is a knockout-nice work![:D][:D][:D]

gerryr

Thanks for the comments. The black acrylic was done several weeks after the mahagony. I got tired of the basically straight shape of the lower barrels and tried this. I like it better also and it's actually more comfortable.

WTG Gerry, noce looking pens. I didn't try anything but SL for 3-4 months, although I modified the shapes. Keep up the good work.

very nice, Gerry, great start. I like this blk tn euro better than any other I've seen so far, must be the blank you used. I too prefer fullness near the clip top as it fills the space between the clip and cap. It also holds in a pocket better IMHO.

hobby_dale

Nice job Gerry! I have one of the black acrylic blanks like yours, so know I have a good idea on what it looks like when finished. The mahogany is also nice and I like wooden center bands (at times) to help enhance the look of the pen. I think the contrast works well for your pen. Keep 'em coming!

Draken

Great looking pens, Gerry! Hope my first ones turn out that nice.

For anyone casting PR, any advice on how to get the white lines like the blank Gerry used?

Cheers,
Draken

gerryr

Thanks for all the kind comments.

I guess I actually cheated with the Bloodwood centerband. It was glued up and turned at the same time as the rest of the pen.

As to the lighting, this was a kluged together mess. What will work better is a light tent made from white fabric so there isn't any direct light falling on the pens to add nasty reflections. That kind of setup is actually easier than fiddling around with reflected light. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to build one. The lights are 3 100w GE Reveal bulbs which provide very natural colored light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom