First pen that is no where near worthy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DennisM

DennisM

Ok after making 15 pens in a week after starting, I have just made the first one that is not worthy of being shown.. (but I will anyway)

Decided to try a little inlay work. Tried using a lighter wood shavings from a previous pen to inlay in a couple groves. I think I was to focused on the inlay and not paying enough attention to the rest of the pen. It is two narrow in spots and others WAY to big still.

Overall the inlay came out.. well. its there. Not enough of a mistake to stop me from trying but still rather disappointing since it was a really nice blank..

Attachments

• DSC00196.jpg
    DSC00196.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 297
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSallee

Hey Dennis,

nice job on the inlay! Don't fret to much over your first try my friend, mistakes is how we learn bro and we have ALL made them. I've made many myself! All in all, the pen looks very nice.

Oh... one way you might "practice" inlay work is to try it on some scrap wood and experiment a little... that way you can try different ways of doing it and not use up your pen kits.

Keep turning and post often!
Dave

Last edited:

Darrin

I like your thinking, but a couple of things. First and foremost, remember, it's just a pen. ;) Second, always pay attention to the little things like pressing the transmission, pen shape, and such. Once you start rushing yourself, mistakes can happen. That being said, I think you have made yourself a fine pen! Is that Bloodwood??

igran7

We all started somewhere and learned as we went along. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your pen, in fact for the amount of pens under your belt it is pretty darn good. Keep up the good work, and keep posting the finished product. I for one look forward to seeing how you progress.

Last edited:

markgum

every pen is worth showing. we all share ideas and that helps everyone with the learning. Looks pretty good and can't wait to see your next one.

ldb2000

Just keep hanging around here and a year from now you will be amazed how far you've come . Don't feel to bad about that one , it's better then some of my firsts .

Top Bottom