First pen on the new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbostian

jbostian

I picked up the Harbor Freight lathe #34706 over the weekend. I finally got some time today to assemble it and try it out. It was also the first time I drilled on the lathe. The pen is a brushed satin executive and the blank is from Neil. Thanks for looking.

Jamie

Attachments

• Exec1.jpg
    Exec1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Exec2.jpg
    Exec2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Exec3.jpg
    Exec3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 150
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Nice pen, What did you do for a tool rest, I hate trying to turn a pen with that monster 12 inch long rest, but I mostly turn between centers, and need to get off my duff and make a short rest for mine,

jbostian

Thanks for the nice comments.

Nice pen, What did you do for a tool rest, I hate trying to turn a pen with that monster 12 inch long rest, but I mostly turn between centers, and need to get off my duff and make a short rest for mine,

I used the huge 12" rest for this pen. I am going to have to get a smaller rest for turning pens. That is something I didn't think about before buying the lathe.

Jamie

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great looking pen Jamie . Looks like Neil hooked you up . I cut the crossbar on my tool rest to fit , so I could turn between centers . Just a suggestion .

jbostian

Thanks. I was thinking about cutting mine. But at some point I think I would like to turn larger things so I am trying to avoid that. I might have to get one of those custom tool rests for it.

Jamie

Great looking pen Jamie . Looks like Neil hooked you up . I cut the crossbar on my tool rest to fit , so I could turn between centers . Just a suggestion .

RAdams

Banned
NICE WORK!

I recently added that same lathe to my shop. A nice compliment to my Jet mini!

You may consider doing what i did. I recently broke my tool rest (for the mini) so i had to get a new one. I went to a local welding supply/ steel shop. They sold me two hunks of cold rolled, and welded it into a "T" for me all for the amazing price of $5. Works like a champ!

Last edited:

jbostian

Thanks for the compliment. There are a few welding shops down the road from me, I may have to stop in there and see what the can do for me.

Jamie

Top Bottom