First pen for February

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BobGast

BobGast

This is my first pen for February. Granted that I just started making pens, this pen still does not make the grade as far as selling it but I am not doing this to sell them. I just want to get better and better at it. Yes, someday I would like to sell some to recoup some of the money that I have spent. Anyway it is PSI Gatsby dressed in Mesquite. Also it doesn't work, the refill will not go back in but at least it stays out and I can write with it. I normally would not have posted this but I figure how can I get better if I don't give you all a chance to weigh in.

Attachments

• Gatsby - Mesquite.jpg
    Gatsby - Mesquite.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 247
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

That is mesquite? I also have issues with that pen kit. Two are laying apart in my "someday" bin waiting to be parted out.

Skie_M

Pop the finial off and work the mechanism around to see if it comes unstuck .... if not, remove the transmission and work on it outside the pen ... if it still doesn't work, call PSI and ask for a replacement transmission. Don't forget to tell them everything you've tried to get it to work.

Also, don't lose your cool with them on the phone. They may need the part back that's being replaced so that they can figure out what went wrong with it, so that they can call the manufacturer and make improvements.

Looks like it might be Mesquite sapwood, and the grain was filled with something dark/black. Picked it up as chunk firewood from Wal-Mart or something like that?

Last edited:

BobGast

I think that the grain becomes black when I wet sand. I should remember to change out the bushings to plastic before that to prevent the wood from becoming darker. I'm still learning. I got it working but I am beginning to not like PSI kits. Do they have any good kits?

mecompco

I think that the grain becomes black when I wet sand. I should remember to change out the bushings to plastic before that to prevent the wood from becoming darker. I'm still learning. I got it working but I am beginning to not like PSI kits. Do they have any good kits?

I've not had a problem with the Gatsby's that I've done, though now I buy the Sierra from exoticblanks.com. Similar style (as is the Wallstreet, Mesa, and a bunch of others).

I agree w/Skie--mess about with the transmission and if it doesn't work, get PSI customer service on the phone--they've always come though for me, though it may take a while.

Regards,
Michael

Skie_M

Oi ... never wet-sand wood. :)

Keep in mind that there's typically a light grease or heavy oil in the mechanism for all pens, and in the wintertime they will tend to get very thick or even solid ... give them a good bit of working before you put them in the pen, and keep them in decent conditions.

More4dan

Also check the ink refill at the tip. After removing the pen tip, ensure the refill moves freely in and out of the tip. I've had several behave the same and found the refill tip would get stuck. I changed to a quality refill and the pens work fine.

Mr Vic

I just made a Wall St II and was flipping out over it's not retracting. While racking my brain trying to think of possible causes I noticed the spring sitting in the bag. Felt like a bone head, Might be just that simple. The Wall St II is one of the pens I make the most of. Go figure.

Top Bottom