First pen ever!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mengtian

Mengtian

My first pen ever. I only destroyed on blank. I had to practice drilling the 7mm hole. Other than that it went pretty easy.

Attachments

• 20151101_135357.jpg
    20151101_135357.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Very nice! I, too, would like to know about the accents. Personally, and this is just MHO, I would have slimmed down the lower barrel a bit. Keep up the great work!

Regards,
Michael

Skie_M

I was about to say .... looks like you got overzealous with the sanding to face your blank and you burned the wood! But hey, it does make for an interesting design addition! :)

TonyL

You are very much on your way! In fact, compared to me, you arrived :).
I would like to see the accents on the nib and cap too (for a total of 4 accents).

Very nice!

Skie_M

I have a very small amount of cocobolo sapwood ... mostly attached to some small crosscut slabs I have. It is indeed a light tan color, but it's VERY light and soft ... MUCH softer than the cocobolo heartwood we're all used to. If you've ever dealt with Northern Texas Mesquite and it's sapwood compared to it's heartwood, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Skie_M

There are several ways you can manufacture burn marks or accent your pens and other work ...

Take a piece of really sap-full wood that contrasts in color (darker) and hold it against your nearly finished piece for a few seconds at high speed to burn the resin color into the workpiece... (very similar to what you did, but it adds additional color to the piece ... cedar, cherry, or mahogany for red ... ebony or blackwood for black ...)

Hold some steel piano wire (use holders on the ends, the wire will get VERY hot) to cut/burn a mark into the workpiece as it spins at high speed ... (leaves a burn line around the pen - several in a row can function as a grip)

Cut small lines around your workpiece and glue some copper, brass, or aluminum wire into the line so that it just barely stands proud of the wood (use CA glue) and sand it back to match the surface of the workpiece ... (Gives a metal inlay of the desired metal)

Cut wider and deeper lines around your workpiece and glue some crushed (think rice grain or smaller) stone into the line. Use a semi-precious and fairly soft stone, like (blue/green) turquoise, (deep green) malachite, (red) jasper, (yellow) serpentine, (deep blue/purple) sodalite, ect ... Use CA to glue it in place, and leave it just a little proud of the pen's surface. Sand it back to match the pen contours. If there are any voids where a piece of stone can go, stop and glue some more stone in, and repeat till you have a beautiful unbroken surface. (Gives a crushed stone inlay of the desired color genuine stone)

There are many other ways to accent your pens as you make them, none of them are wrong, because they're all beautiful to someone! :)

Top Bottom