First Pen Ever

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Lady_Acoma

Lady_Acoma

So this is a crap photo with my phone and I will see what I can do about fixing that but I am just so excited. My first completed pen ever! I did actually turn another last night which would have been great till I managd to jack up the transmission trying to install it. All and all for having never turned in my life before I feel pretty good about it.

I had to cheat and get one of the predrilled PSI blank sets because I have no drill press or chucks yet (next purchase) but I couldn't wait that long to get started. Woohoo new hobbies I can't really afford!

Attachments

• CAM00284.jpg
    CAM00284.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 334
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Nice pen, I have never done one with that finish but always thought it looked nice. There is nothing cheating about pre drilled blanks. The pen and pencil I carry everyday were made from pre drilled blanks.

Curt

tbroye

We have all had to start someplace. I had a drill and Lathe. use a wood clamp to hold the blank while I drilled it. You did a nice on your pen. Enjoy your newly developing hobby. I still have some predrilled blanks the Grandkids use from time to time but they are getting good enough to do Sierra's and Rollerballs. The predrilled will be used for the 5 year old when he is ready even have some slims left over for him.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very nice pen - much better than my first one.
I agree - nothing cheating about using pre-drilled blanks at all.

Jack Parker

Very nice looking pen, you are off to a great start. The slimlines and their counterparts are probably some of the toughest pens to get anywhere close to right. You did a nice job. There is nothing at all wrong with using predrilled blanks, just saves you some work. Welcome to the madness :)

Skie_M

Quite pretty .... and soon I expect to see you a regular at the Pen Turner's Anon meetings. No scheduled times, just show up and take your mind off things. :)

BSea

Great 1st pen, and much better than mine. :good:

Before you go buy a drill press, look into drilling on the lathe. It's cheaper than a drill press, and more accurate.

magpens

Congratulations on your first pen !!!! Looks like you did a fine job ! . Yes, I remember the excitement !!!!

I agree with BSea ... drilling on the lathe is more accurate and rewarding ... and probably cheaper than a drill press and clamping device

What you need is (1) a chuck of some sort for your headstock to hold the blank; and (2) a Jacobs chuck in your tailstock to hold the drill bit.

You can even buy both together, but you need to be sure about getting the right fit for your lathe.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPALXD.html

Browse around the Penn State website, and also check out Little Machine Shop.

Boy ... the eye in your Avatar spooks me !!

Last edited:

robutacion

Using pre-drilled blanks is not cheating, there many folks that use blanks that are already almost finished so, you don't have to feel like a cheater...!

It is certainly a great feeling when, I manage to turn something for the very first time and without much if any training, we all had to experience that but, that is quickly forgotten because, very quickly we start to make better things that surprises us more than anyone else, huh...??:biggrin:

If I could only show you, how many of us have hobbies that, we really can't afford, you would be amazed however, we all have our own ways of "prioritising" and with that, comes the freedom to do what we want (in most cases) so, we seem to always find a way to subsidize our hobbies, if they give us pleasure and enjoyment...!

Your first is a lot better that many of us first's, the pre-conception that, slims are the easiest to start with, is very wrong, a Cigar is a lot easier to turn and you have a lot more "meat" to work with so, handling slimlines means.

Well done and congrats...!

Cheers
George

Lady_Acoma

Thank you everyone for the encouragement I have so mch to learn with all of this so I look forward to getting to know everyone.

I actually had looked into getting a dedicated pen drilling chuck and jacobs chuck to do my holes on the lathe seems to make more sense based on several factors including cost, space, and from what I have seemed to read your bit won't wander randomly.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKEZ5.html This is the pack of blanks I got from PSI and I don't honestly know what type of wood I used. That is an area of frustration for me because I would always like to properly describe what I have used. Something to educate myself on as I continue.

I used a CA finish actually. The picture makes it look more matte then it is but I definitely have a great deal of room for improvement with it before I find a glass finish. It was about 10 coats of thin CA followed by micro mesh and a couple of coats of One Step plastic polish.

Skie_M

Thank you everyone for the encouragement I have so mch to learn with all of this so I look forward to getting to know everyone.

I actually had looked into getting a dedicated pen drilling chuck and jacobs chuck to do my holes on the lathe seems to make more sense based on several factors including cost, space, and from what I have seemed to read your bit won't wander randomly.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKEZ5.html This is the pack of blanks I got from PSI and I don't honestly know what type of wood I used. That is an area of frustration for me because I would always like to properly describe what I have used. Something to educate myself on as I continue.

I used a CA finish actually. The picture makes it look more matte then it is but I definitely have a great deal of room for improvement with it before I find a glass finish. It was about 10 coats of thin CA followed by micro mesh and a couple of coats of One Step plastic polish.

The upper was Indian Rosewood (or possibly Burmese Rosewood) and the lower was segmented Padauk (the red part) and Wenga (the dark brown part), I believe.

After your initial 10 coats of CA, follow it with 1000 grit wet sanding to smooth out any major bumps and don't forget to sand laterally (with the grain) to remove radial lines from the finish. You stop the lathe and turn the spindle by hand while you sand the blank with the grain all the way round to break the radial lines. Then go to micromesh and do the same thing at least every 3 grits or so ... Your finish will be markedly improved.

Last edited:

plano_harry

Nice pen Marcia! I hope you didn't throw the other pen away. It is easy remove the transmission and put in a new one. You probably have some other members in the area that can show you how, as well as tips on IAP. Skie gave you good advice on the sanding. There are articles in the Library that go into much more detail if you want to do additional reading.

Lady_Acoma

I ha e kept the first one so I can take it apart when I get the tools to do so. I have also taken to heart the advice of others (like Skie, thank you) and adjusted my sanding methods. I think my finish has improved but am hoping to see further improvement after I pick up some medium CA because I only have thin right noe.

I have truly appreciated all of the encouragement and support everyone has given me. Thank you all.

That is a great first pen. The workmanship, composition and shape are spot on. I love making slimline's the kits are cheap to buy and the pens always look good and sell well. I recommend keeping the first pen you have made as you will look back on it one day with fond memories. It's worth having a look at craft coat. In my opinion it's a great easy to use finish that produces excellent results. It is not as indestructible as a a ca finish but it is much more pleasant to use and offers great protection to the pen.

For me my first pen was a bit of a scary thing. I had never used my new lathe before (or any lathe), never had a turning lesson and on top of that my only tool was a 3/4" skew (which no one had shown me how to use). As soon as I finished I just had to make another one. Now I am a member of penturners anonymous and I have a pen turning business!

Keep posting pictures we will all enjoy watching your progress. :)

Last edited:

Skie_M

Heh .... I'ld managed to get minimal training with a lathe in a woods class ... my instructor, aptly named Mr Woods, required me to be familiar with the fundamentals, as my project in class was to be a solid oak coffee table with glass insert on top and turned legs on all 4 corners.

Now, I never really did get to turn my coffee table legs ... I unfortunately had to leave that school behind when my dad retired from the Army and brought me, my brother, and my sister down to Lawton. One of these days, if I ever get a lathe large enough, I may take those legs off and turn them on the lathe ....

Meanwhile, I've always had a fascination with the shaping of wood and other materials. Take a piece of scrap and make it into something worth looking at... From trash into treasure!

Before I started building my little home made lathe (out of oak, no less), I did a few turning projects using the belt/disc combo sander that I bought from Harbor Freight.

No tool rest, impromptu tools fashioned from old square shanked wood handled screwdrivers that I ground on the 1x30 belt sander and dipped in heavy salt water when they got hot ... (I still have those detail tools ... I'll never give them up!) I fashioned wheels out of wood with a center hole drilled through them that held them in place of the disc sander attachment. They were held on with a 10/32 screw that passed through them and into the sander's shank. Extra space was taken up with nuts and washers. I made several little boxes with ill-fitting lids... it was scary, but they were fun to make. TONS of dust all over the place, as this sanding attachment only spun at ONE speed .... I think it was 1750 RPM, and I was using some REALLY OLD DRIED OUT Eastern Redwood Cedar. It just left powder all over the place. The beam was at least 20 years old. I tried turning a bit of it on my lathe, after I got it, and yet again, nothing but powder.

It still turns BEAUTIFULLY, but it's quite fragile. I'll have to post pics of some of these things. The ones I made with the sander all have holes in them, from the screw that passed through. Filled with superglue.

As for the wooden wood lathe, I still have it. I won't toss it. It's pictured in my gallery still, I think.

It has a 2-step pulley attached, but no motor, I never got round to attaching one. The bearings are all split sleeve metal on metal bearings, it's not made for anything even approaching 1000 RPMs ...

The tailstock is held in place with zip ties and popsicle sticks and only has a dead center. The spur center in the headstock is hand ground and has no actual center in it, just the spurs sticking out .... I should just make a 60 degree cone center, it would be a lot safer lol ...

It still has no tool rest, but I've come up with a design that I liked that will simply clamp to the table top.

1_9Zg2b4Z.jpg

Imagine turning a pen on THIS thing!

The entire lathe mounts on top of a lap desk board, of all things. I still need to wire for a switch, get another pulley for the motor, mount the motor, make the tool rest, ect ... but that's a project for another year when I'm bored.

Now you know why I'm in Penturner's Anonymous ... I'm not just a member, I'm the president!

Welcome to our addiction, we hope you don't run out of money too fast and always work safe!

Last edited:
Top Bottom