First pen (amboyna on a Jr gent)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from phillywood

phillywood

OK this is my first pen and I had Mr. Burl to supervise the process and catch my mistakes. We had trouble with the CA the first time around since it caused a ring of haze about 1/8 around the center band on the top blank and we had to redo the whole thing.
This picture is not that clear since that was the last picture I could take on the camera before the memory was full and then I had to rush the pen to the Dr. who received it. I know you guys are going to fuss, but I can't figure out how to reduce the pic to the size that I can upload to the Photo album. Non of my programs can reduce it and there is nothing in the help section to explain how to do it. Anyways, the only way i could load it was a MS word that it is not clear. No, I don't have access to the pen anymore the recipient is happy with it and I am hoping to drum up some Bus. in the future.

I wanted to add thanks to my friend Keith for his patience and his generosity to sell me one of his pride and joy amboyna blank. I didn't have one as beautiful as he has and boy does he have nice collection of blanks!
I am also blessed that he is a nice teacher to help me along.
I wanted to thank him publicly here.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome, just don't grill me yet.

Attachments

• First pen To Dr. Schwartz.JPG
    First pen To Dr. Schwartz.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Ok you are way out of focus, try another shot then let us see it. I'll be waiting.

Max, that's a problem the Dr. has the pen. Pen was finished Mon, night due to all the rain we had then on Tues. Morning I had to take it to the Dr.. I thought that pic. was good. And that was the last pic. i could take on the camera because the memory was full. Sorry.

el_d

Great shot of the grass Phillip, but there's a pen in the way.:biggrin:

Looks good from What I can see, but if Keith was there helping you out more than likely it was a great first pen.

Try opening the pic in paint resize it(Image- stretch skew pull down) and adjust the height and width Both to 40%.

Last edited:

bitshird

Nice Lawn Phillip, but some one stuck a pen in the picture. , Nice color on the Amboyna, hope you get to do another one soon and get better focus, But it looks like your off to the races..

phillywood

thank you guys as you can notice I downloaded the Irfanview and boy you guys are right even a Cave man can do it:tongue::biggrin:. that's why you don't see the MSW pic. any more. Sorry, for the first disappointment. maybe youguys would accept my description.

OK, here it is. I am sure you all are very familiar with Keith's pen work so he helped me along and I learned a lot. for the pen it looked very nice and very shiny. The blank it self had some very unusual eyes and figures and there was like a pic. of a face in one side of it. At one moment it even made Keith think twice for giving me that blank. But, he is a very generous and sharing person, and a great fiend at that. Maybe when I get more order form the Dr. I may ask him to take a pic. of that pen again and this time I won;t screw it up I promise.

OKLAHOMAN

Show off.....show off.......show off....

Most start with slim lines made with what ever tree that lost a limb in their yard not you.

Congratulations!!!!

phillywood

Show off.....show off.......show off....

Most start with slim lines made with what ever tree that lost a limb in their yard not you.

Congratulations!!!!
Thanks Roy, I have the privilage of knowing a good friend like keith and he is starting me out right. Plus the target market that I am aiming at would be able to afford those high end pens, so Iam trying to learn the good stuff. I am getting there though. Slowly, but surely. Having, friends like you and so many others who would share their honest commnets will get me there soon.
Thanks for your looking.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Philly, that's a very nice lawn! And with the help you had I'm sure the pen came out at least as nice as your lawn. I understand the photo capacity thing. You need to invest in another memory chip for your camera.

The following is an informative article on "how to" upload your photos into an IAP album . . . by Jeff: Uploading Photos – Your album
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35783

There are a few free programs you can download to resize your photos. I use picasa.com occasionally - http://picasa.google.com/

I'm looking forward to seeing your next pen . . . with a blurry lawn background. :biggrin:

mrburls

Guess the next step will be to show you how to photogragh those awesome amboyna burl blanks you like to make pens out of now.

It was a nice pen with great figure and a pretty descent CA finish.

Keith "mrburls"

capcrnch

Glad to see you've gotten a turned one under your belt!
Now that you have that first one out of the way, get into the shop and start turning out an inventory!

I won't add to the blur factor, that's been covered (your lawn does look nice though!).. I'll add this.. Holding the pen by hand is always tough because of movement. I'd suggest at the worst, go grab a piece of paper, set the pen on a rock, put it on the paper and shoot like that. Take out the human factor.

Congrats Phil, an abonya burl for the first pen is going to spoil you for future pens ;)

phillywood

Now the thing is I have to check with my bank to just match up what Keith got me started on. Man that pen looked so good that I have to go break the bank just to keep up with that for my reputation. but I've got a good teacher and he wouldn't let me to screw up again so I try to keep my name in good shape.

Robert Taylor

the big mistake you made is that you should never have got rid of your first pen, period. you need to keep it as a reminder of your very first work and be able to refer to it in the future. just my $.02

phillywood

the big mistake you made is that you should never have got rid of your first pen, period. you need to keep it as a reminder of your very first work and be able to refer to it in the future. just my $.02
I agree,but i am still working on the garage getting it set up for the whole thing. I was hoping that I can get soem orders from him for the Holidays.

Top Bottom