First pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kroekern

kroekern

It definitely isn't "special", but it is special to me :)

I didn't take all that long making it; I just wanted to have something to test out my tools and test ink and nibs.

Without a photography setup, the photos aren't the best. I'll hopefully have something set up within a few pens made.

Currently, the "finish" is just the wood sanded through the MicroMesh grades.
  • Bock 180 'M' nib
  • Olivewood body
  • No cap
  • Cartridge slides in through the top (drilled through)
  • Feed/housing is essentially friction fit in quite tightly
  • Accurate colour is somewhere in the middle of a blend between the two pics, by my screen.
I'll have to do something about not having a cap.

It's loaded up with PR Avocado at the moment, and I absolutely love the ink!

Anyhow, just wanted to throw this up here. If you have any constructive criticisms or maybe a piece of advice for me (a newcomer to turning in general!) I'm all ears :)
Oh, small note: At the end of the pen, there's some cruddy sanding and a tool mark ring; this was near the... oh what's it called... it's like a dead center with something that resembles a blank trimmer. Went near that a couple times, decided to stay away until I get a proper lathe/chuck :) (any suggestions for those?)

Anyways, I'll stop typing now so someone else can chime in!

Attachments

• rIMG_3341.jpg
    rIMG_3341.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 216
  • rIMG_3347.jpg
    rIMG_3347.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Another penturner I know took a piece of wood about bottle stopper size, and turned it to resemble an ink bottle/well. It had the effect of looking like a dip pen, but was self- contained, like yours. My words cannot really describe it well, but it really looked terrific when he completed it. Its worth considering, anyway.

Last edited:

kroekern

Make a trumpet, put it on a base, and call it a desk pen. Takes care of the cap problem, and won't dry out.

This is actually exactly what I was thinking. Way before I got my order of nibs and such (ie. today) I had designs of such a thing drawn over many sheets of papers (AKA school notes).

OOPS said:
Another penturner I know took a piece of wood about bottle stopper size, and turned it to resemble an ink bottle/well. It had the effect of looking like a dip pen, but was self- contained, like yours. My words cannot really describe it well, but it really looked terrific when he completed it. Its worth considering, anyway.

Exactly, but it took your comment of bottle stopper sized chunks to make me think... I just got some olivewood perfect for that! Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow :)

I may actually make it a two-pen holder (planning on making a longer pen using the other side of this piece) and also make a portable holder for this shorter pen. Sort of tiered.

Is there anything bad about storing a fountain pen pointing down? Pointing up? (as it currently is sitting on my desk).

bruce119

Nice job on first pen. Not your typical kit even though it mite not be perfect like you said it is special to you.

My advise, when you are done with it keep it, put in on a shelf in a special place. It will be very special to you a few years from now. Never let the first one go :wink:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom