First pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from terryf

terryf

So I bought a lathe, a few goodies, couple packets of pens - spent 36 hours glued to IAP and this evening turned a Classic Fountain Pen. The wood is Kiaat.

I did, in the process, figure out that the Classic Kits have changed over the years (thanks to Todd) and in the process ended up having to improvise the last bit of work with a skew and a drill press. :confused: It seems the center band in the old kits included whereas the newer kits you have to turn a bit of the barrel down. Well I got lucky and ended up with parts from both kits hence the drill press.

Anyways, something to chalk up to experience and I'm sure the rollerball kit I have will be a little bit easier now. :biggrin:

I have no idea exactly whose posts I read during the learning curve but to those nameless individuals of IAP, my thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 377
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Terry I am glad I could help you out. From what I see in the picture it looks like your pen turned out nicely. Did you do any kind of finish on the pen? Sometimes you will find you have to improvise on things. Looking forward to seeing more pens from you.

terryf

Thanks Todd - I sanded 600 through to 1200 then tried CA but it was a disaster so back to the drawing board in that regard - I gave Woodoc a try and that worked the best followed by a silicon cream. (again I improvised lol)

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The pen looks very nice Terry. I find that I have to improvise quite often. Not necessarily because of problems with the kits, but because there seems to be a loose nut behind the lathe :rolleyes:. I'm glad you stuck with it and worked the problem out.

Please consider signing up for the PITH tomorrow. I'm sure there are many of us who would like to receive one of your pens and who would like to exchange with a South African resident.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Baie mooi !!!:biggrin:
I know there are only a handfull of SA members so it's great to see a pen from SA again.:biggrin:

bitshird

Terry that was a heck of a pen for your first undertaking, and you did a nice job from what I can see. That kit gives a lot of folks severe headaches.

phillywood

Baie mooi !!!:biggrin:
I know there are only a handfull of SA members so it's great to see a pen from SA again.:biggrin:

Skip, SA means San Antonio, TX not South Africa, you do turn, don't you? then type South Africa man. Then they think he is from San Antonio, TX. I'd like to have him here though, but he is way far form TX. That was my suggestionn for him to put his country in his profile other than that he would not be recognized last week where he was from.:rolleyes::biggrin:
Now, Back to the main subject. Very Nice pen. Looks very nice for the first pen try.
BTW, Skip they are very good at football there too. They beat us and the England. :tongue::biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dankie Rot :biggrin: Are you a saffer?
quote]

Jammer mieneer, ek is net 'n rooinek :redface:( apologies for poor spelling - it's been a few years since I used the taal.) I lived there for 25 years. I might go back once all the kids have finished school. I miss the decent braai's:rolleyes:

bruce119

Terry
Great looking pen for your first. I commend you most would start with a slimline. You jumped in full throttle.

Now I just breezed through the post but I don't think anyone mentioned it.

Be sure to save it for yourself don't give it away don't sell for any amount of money and keep it away from your wife. There is never a first 1 year from now and hopefully 10 years from now. You will still have and understand why you held on to it.

I still have my first certainly not as nice as that but it is my first.

HOLD ON TO IT

nice job

Top Bottom