First Pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwall

Hi All,

It isn't going to win any prizes, but here it is......my first pen!

Made it from a slimline kit, and a piece of spalted elm, that wasnt that spalted. (Didn't want to waste a good piece on my first attempt)

I have learned a lot from my first try....... patience being one of the main points, never try to rush anything. It is a must to have the correct tools, as it cuts out a lot of time and effort!

Just drilled a lovely piece of Beech Burr, and spalted elm, and have glued them ready for my next ventures!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006615192612_first%20pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Congratulations! May it be the first of MANY successful pens! Be sure to keep it - the first one is always something to look back on. You'll be amazed how much better (not that this one looks bad from what I can see) numbers 2-10 will look.

Next time, try posting a bigger pic with less background. Although the wood in the picture is pretty, I want to see the pen!

gerryr

What Dario said! [:D] And he's really right about turning being the easy part. Finishing generally takes me longer than turning.

Jerryconn

Good looking first pen! I'm with Jim KEEP IT! I gave mine away and sometimes I could kick myself, it's kinda like the first dollar you made[;)]

kkwall

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback!

Noted about the finishing, did this one with a linseed oil, and wax, just to seal and protect, but I need to work on the finishing to get the look I am after!

The next pens are going to be much more decorative, with nicer grain, and pattern so I will do more work on them.

This sight is an absolute gold mine, and I feel like I have hit the mother load with all the information that is available!

Thanks again for the feedback, and I will practise, practise and practise!!!!!!!!!

PS - Jimgo, here is a cropped and bigger pic.

200661520214_first%20pen.jpg
<br />

JimGo

Thanks Kenny, that's MUCH better! Wow, you did a very good job with the fit for a first pen! My first pen was so proud of the components I think you could have seen the ridge from a few feet away!

saftrep

Uh oh,
You're in trouble now. The disease is about to strike and you can't avoid it. Get ready for kits, wood, wood, wood and more kits, glue wood, wood, and more wood - err - oppps - lost it there for a minute - you did good.

kkwall

Hi ALl,

I think the overall opinion is that once you start you cant stop!!!

Well rest assured I can stop anytime I want....................but I think I'll just drill and glue a couple more blanks before I go to work to ensure a good supply at the weekend. Picking up a table top saw that I won on an auction yesterday at the weekend, so I can cut my own blanks. Have found a wood supplier locally, who can give me most things I need, and have just placed an order for 20 additional pen kits.

But rest assured..... I can walk away from it whenever I want.........but perhaps I'll just drill and glue those blanks anyway!!!!

johncrane

Now you started turning. you will have no spare time for anything else. Good Luck and proteck your EYES and watch your fingers its a great hobby well done with your first pen. from JC down under.

Ligget

I agree, it is a brilliant first pen![:p]
Definately one to keep as I kept my first one and when you look at it years later it brings back lots of memories.[^]
Keep up the good work.....

OSCAR15

Great job Kenny! It amazes me though that almost all the books, literature and kit companies instruct that the slimline should be the first pen you try. To me, there are many others that are easier! You did an awesome job. I recommend that you add the cigar style next. Easy to do and a great looking pen. You are right about patience. I turn pens as a sort of therapy. Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom