First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from QuietHill Crafts

I've spent the last 3 weeks patiently putting together my shop / shed, I've got no permanent power run out there, spent the entire weekend getting the lathe setup and all my other tools organized...plenty of work to do still. But, I've been staring at the lathe the whole time wanting to get started. Well tonight I figured I'd give it a go...

I'm sure there are flaws, the finish isn't the greatest, I've got so much to learn. But, man this was fun! I'm screwed I think in a good way.

Satin Slim Line Pen from PennState kit. Used one of the many blanks that came with the kit I purchased. I used Shellawax finish after taking it to 600 grit by hand.

Attachments

• Pen#1.jpg
    Pen#1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 165
  • pen#1-1.jpg
    pen#1-1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Pen#1-2.jpg
    Pen#1-2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 138
  • Pen#1-3.jpg
    Pen#1-3.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very nice, Tom - congratulations!
Be sure to save that first one for posterity. It's always nice to look back at some of our first pens after a year or two.

magpens

Congratulations on your 1st pen !!! . It looks great !! . I well remember the feeling of accomplishment after my 1st pen !!

bloodhound

do not be down on that first pen at all. My first pen was not as good as that. Yes you have a long way to go. Ive been turning pens for a couple of years now. Then i stumbled on to this site. And realized i have a LONG way to go. I spend every night when i get home from work, fumbling through this site. Trying to learn as much as i can. So, keep up the good work. And welcome to your new addiction.

BJohn

Good looking first pen, enjoy the hobby but boy get ready to become addicted.

And oh yeah hope your budget director has a sense of humor !

Last edited:

mecompco

I like the pen. The fit looks good--my first one had major gaps on the band joint. Is the nib joint on yours a little proud? It sort of looks like it in the pic (though it's hard to tell). I (personally) am glad you did not go for the wasp-waist look, I hate that). Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom