First pen by a 13 yr old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ltkrause

ltkrause

The neighbor kids are always over watching me make pens. Yesterday, one asked if he could make his own. I let him pick out the kit and the blank, showed him how to use the tools and guided him through the process. He is 13 and completed 98% of this pen with his own hands! He was very happy. I think it's really neat and he learned a few things.

2013-05-28 19.10.48.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I can't say I"m a huge fan of the pen itself, but anytime someone takes the time to teach a young person....that earns a "like" from me.

ltkrause

Interesting! What a fantastic pen. You must be proud and I guess you have outstanding teaching skills too.

I am quite proud! He picked the design and stuck to it so all I could do was show him how to get it there.

My son is 10 and I helped him make a pen for his teacher (I let him turn the blank and help with the finish). We didn't get a picture of it though. He was thrilled to be able to give his teacher something useful that he helped make.

I'm not sure about the teaching skills, but I have learned as being the teacher (coach, parent, etc), the hardest part is letting the learner do the work and let them make mistakes and help them learn from them. There are so many times that I would want to correct them because it's not the way I would do something. Kids are amazing!

Loren

Marc

Many of the younger turners have those nimble minds and a fearless approach to design. They come out of their first pen classes with huge proud smiles and show off some very interesting pens. Not designed to sell, just designed to please the turner.

The do have fun and most get hooked, just like the rest of us.

Always great to hear of teens taking an interest in woodworking, and even better to hear about an adult (outside the family, even) willing to teach them. Great job done by the both of you.

Tom T

Great pen, interesting design. Keep helping the kids, many people don't have time. They will remember you for the rest of there lives. Not that's why you do it. That's the positive impression that is made. Keep passing it down.

Top Bottom