First Pen !!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RODNEYBREAN

RODNEYBREAN

This is the first pen I have Turned. It is a Classica style with Buck Eye Burl blank that I hardened with Cactus Juice , a pickle jar and a hand held food vac. (first try at stabilization) and finished with CA (first try also) Let me know what you think. (pics aren't the best)

Mahalo,

Rodney

Attachments

• CLASICA 2 013.jpg
    CLASICA 2 013.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 278
  • CLASICA 2 023.jpg
    CLASICA 2 023.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

Good start Rodney. You took on alot with turning, stabilizing and a CA finish all on your first pen. Try Aloha Woods for some local Hawian woods. They usually have a good selection.

RODNEYBREAN

Eugene,

I go to Aloha Woods atleast once every couple weeks,they have great stuff. I get all my KOA there and other local woods. I sandblast glass and put them in wood bases I make.

Rodney

Russknan

First pen? Decided not to start at the bottom, did you? Dove right into the deep end, and came out with a fish in your mouth. Congratulations, and keep it up! Russ

RODNEYBREAN

Dale,

The blanks I did with the wood hardener seemed to come out fine. I have not done anything with them yet, will let you know as soon as I find the right kit to do the wood justice.

Rodney

Sataro

Great job on that first pen Rodney! Way to go on stabilizing & CA finish on first pen.

SDB777

Was wondering how well the 'juice' got into the wood using a non-mechanical method of vacuum? I happen to have a hand brake bleeder thing from one of the 'auto parts places' here in town.....

The pen looks great, and the finish looks pretty good from my seat too!

Scott (got a chamber too) B

RODNEYBREAN

I was pretty impressed on how well the cactus juice penetrated the blanks with the hand held food vac. I was very pleased. The blank turned great! I was looking at some video's with the hand held brake pump and they seem to work. Give it a shot. I also tried the min wax wood hardener. It seemed to work fine too, I haven't turned the blanks that I did with it yet. Will post pics as soon as I do.

Top Bottom