First painted blank pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BackyardSmokin

Okay, please go gentle on with me on this pen. It was a PITA to make.

I have a friend that is restoring a 1970 Dodge Challenger and they are having the car painted in Panther Pink. So, I decided to make them a gearshift pen with a blank the same color of the car. After trying different ways of making the blank this color, I decided to just paint some wood and found some model enamel paint in this color.

My first attempt was using a white wood with little grain onto which I did 20 layers of paint. When I went to go do some light wet sanding (600 grit) the paint so I could do a finish, the paint just clumped up. I found that with the enamel paint, I had to wait for 48-72 hrs before finishing it and that 1200 grit or higher was best for sanding

After finding that out, I moved on to my next attempt at painting a blank (this pen). This time I did 7 layers of paint (which was enough to hide the wood and give a nice color) and then let it sit for 3 days before finishing. This time I wet sanded at 1200, then applied 12 coats of thin CA. The first two coats of CA got into the paint and put a subtle swirl to it, but the rest went on without a problem. The CA was finished with wet sanding up to 12,000 grit and followed by my standard Novus 3, 2, 1 plastic finish to give an extra shine.

P.S. sorry no matter what I did, I could not get the gear shift area to get into focus.

Attachments

• panther pink.jpg
    panther pink.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 270
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Alternative if you have the equipment is to paint the tube with the cars paint then cast in clear resin. Might require a CA coat on top of the paint to make it bond with the resin depending on the paint.

kruzzer

The pen looks fine.. but exotic blanks has a blank called Pink Lady Acrylic that looks pretty close to the one you made. It would be a lot less work..

OZturner

Troy, In Spite of all your Trials, and Tribulations,
Your Perseverance Has Paid Out "Big Time".
You have Produced a Great Pen, with an "Unique" Blank.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Well Done,
Brian.

WIDirt

Troy,

Great pen! I'm sure your friend will love it!

As for the focus issue, don't know what kind of camera you are using, but the focus issue is caused by your "depth of field". Basically, yours is very short. I am not a camera guru, so maybe one of the guys who is can chime in on this with greater detail, or corrections, but here is my explanation.

From Google:
depth of field
noun
noun: depth of field; plural noun: depths of field

1. the distance between the nearest and the furthest objects in an image judged to be in focus in a camera.

On a SLR camera, and some programmable small point and shoot cameras, you can change the focal length (aperture) setting, which controls this.

A snip from Wikipedia:
" using a lens of greater focal length, decreases the DOF; decreasing magnification increases DOF. For a given subject magnification, increasing the f-number (decreasing the aperture diameter) increases the DOF; decreasing f-number decreases DOF."

I am sure that is as clear as mud! ;)

WIDirt

Last edited:
Top Bottom