First ones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkirkb94

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

Here is my first wine stopper and my first attempts at using PVC for pens. The wine stopper is from a large dull blank of ambrosia maple. I have not tried doing fancy lathe work yet so I didn't want to use a good blank. The PVC is a wonder to use!:) Though I spent about a quarter of my time ripping off the long shavings from my mandrel.[xx(] These are colors from our 2 largest state colleges. Kirk [8D]

2004121211254_my%20first.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Very nice work, Kirk!! The PVC work is very good, great laminations! The wine stopper made me think for a second, I wonder if anyone has ever purposely made the stopper look like a minature wine barrel? The shape you have is nice, and very functional, but it just made me think a little about a barrel. It would probably look a little .... is the word..... ciche? I read that word once or something. I see so much beautiful work here, the barrel idea might be too tacky, but then again it might sell. A couple of strips of copper, some woodburnt lines for the staves...... I gotta get home, the fumes from the Bondo here at work must be getting to me, or maybe I'm just thirsty?

Really nice work!
Rich

Fred in NC

Kirk, very nice work. The stopper does remind me of a wine barrel. I am sure you could make a real good wine barrel shape if you wanted!

Very nice PVC pens too, the finish is great. State college colors should go well.

PenWorks

Very nice pens Kirk, They look to finish out really nice. I never turned PVC, its got to be easier than a corn cob ! Anthony

low_48

As they used to say in the Laugh-In Show;
IS THAT ANOTHER CORN COB JOKE!!!!!!

Well Joann Worley used to say; "Is that another chicken joke", but I couldn't let Anthony get by with that. Actually, I find corn cobs alot easier to turn than PVC. With PVC the curls coming off end up wrapping around the blank. You have to shut off the lathe and cut off the curls with a knife, or run the skew back over the curls to cut them off.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom