First Olympia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Done in spalted Pecan home stabilized with polyurethane. This was part of my first batch of home stabilized blanks in poly. One spalted Maple bottle stopper turned out well enough, but I'm not at all happy with using poly. A beautiful spalted Ash blank from the same batch literally crumbled and fell apart on me while I was applying the finish tonight. The poly penetrated all the way through in all blanks. Left to dry for two weeks. Short of straight lacquer or poly no finish will look well on them. Applied two coats of Deft Sanding Sealer and three coats of home mixed lacquer FP. This blank has some very interesting red grain and some rather ugly black dirty looking grain. Quite the contrast.

2005894612_olympia_spalted_pecan.jpg

I'll make the lower barrel larger using a tenon like I've read about now that I've done my first.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Looks good from here Bill!
I wish it were a Parker rather than a cross refill.
One note.
It appears to me that a lady would like that style more than a man.(jusst my impression)
A larger barrel might dissuade a female buyer if the pen is too big.
I have done conventional Euro's in the manner you described and it makes the pen a LOT bigger.

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! Eagle, I couldn't find what refill it took before ordering. [:(] Maybe I didn't research hard enough. I too wish it were Parker. I find this kit a bit spendy for a Cross and am not sure it will draw the $$ necessary. Worse case scenario; Merry Christmas, someone! [;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The Olympia sells extremely well for me and at significant premium to other European style kits. I have yet to have a customer ask me what type of refill a pen takes prior to purchasing it. I know the Cross-style refil removes the ability to use a gel refill, but that hasn't cost me a sale yet. This pen is gorgeous and comes in a wide variety of finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom