first olympia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the first Olymia pen from A.S. I've done. The reason for two photos is that one is not the best photo but shows off the wonderful
grain better, the other highlights the pens nice appearance. I am very pleased with the smooth operation of this pen and will do more of them. It has an insert that fits into the larger top barrel( "O" bit while the bottom is a 7mm.
The ebonite was purchased from Rich K. and turns and finishes great!
If you get a chance to purchase some of this, I highly recommend it.

2005623112710_olympia%20ebonite.jpg

2005623112734_ebonite%20olympia.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Glenn, nice job! The finish looks very smooth. I haven't tried one of these before; do you think it's worth trying?

woodscavenger

I have a couple of comments.
1. The ebonite is cool. I think your transition to the top is a little abrupt. I had the same problem on mine but if you like it, ignore me.

2. I bought my kits from BB. the first 2 were great. the filigreed trim ring is supposed to have a black background behind the raised filigree which makes the kit look really cool. My last 5 ordered from BB were like your trim ring without the black background. I called him and he said he had a bunch of kits that were messed up and he was waiting for replacement rings. I hope he hurries because I have the blanks trimmed and glued ready to turn.

PenWorks

Good looking pens Glen. I am really getting partial to using ebonite as pen material.
I just bought some new black rods yesterday 25mm x 20" the price really jumped , $45.00 per rod.

You did a good job on those. I like the nice smooth finish. I did a couple of those from A.S. a while ago but I didn't put any curvature on the cap or barrel. I think I like the curvature you gave them better. I'll have to try again. The trim ring on mine came with the black background behind the raised filigree and I think it does improve the looks. I like the spring loaded clip, too. I had to force more than one toothpick into the clip to hold it away from the cap when installing it so it wouldn't scratch the wood --- one would just slip out. They're good looking kits and fairly easy to make.

jim,
I think its worth trying, however, I wouldnt purchase it again. I might trade something for it but I prefer a more noticeable grain if I am going to pay for it. You definitely have to go throught all the grits of micromesh and DO NOT skip any as the scratches WILL show.

Rifleman1776

The style appears to be an improvement over the European, which I like. Does this require two turning operations on different mandrels? Personally, I would go with african blackwood over the synthetic. Your final product is excellent, very classy and elegant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom